24-Oct-2010 -- This report is the last out of a series of five Confluences that I visited during an extended weekend to Morocco. The story starts from 33N 7W.
My time was running out – with a time budged of half a day left, there was no more visit of a not yet documented confluence point feasible. So I had no choice other than heading back towards Casablanca where my flight was scheduled for the next morning. From the city of Fès the motorway towards Casablanca bypasses the town Khemisset, which is located 20 km south of the Confluence. From Khemisset, there is a direct country road to the confluence point. After driving through the village Khémis Aït Yadine (3 km south of the Confluence) I parked at a distance of 700 m right next to the road. With my 2WD I didn't dare to further approach the point on a track with deep sand.
The area is populated with scattered housing in-between agricultural fields. Some local women found it particularly funny watching a foreigner having a walk through their village. So I heard “Bonjour, monsieur” accompanied with some giggle from some women doing the laundry. It was a pleasant walk along tracks fenced with high growing euphorbia.
The exact Confluence turned out to be located in this little house. While taking the pictures, I gave my best to explain the idea of confluence hunting to the local residents. They let me do the confluence documentation although they didn't quite understand the intention of my doings.
I returned the same way back – not without another giggle near the laundry. On my drive back to Khemisset I took several hitchhikers with me, making best use of the otherwise empty seats in the rental car. In Khemisset I entered the highway again and continued the drive towards Cacablanca.
CP visit details:
- Beeline distance from car parking: 700 m
- Walking time (incl. return): 30 min
- Time at the CP: 12:20 p.m.
- Measured height: 282 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 9 m
- Minimal distance to the CP: 12 m
- Vegetation: Cactus “fence”, not much vegetation otherwise since the agricultural fields nearby had been harvested.
- Distance to a road: 700 m
- Distance to a track: 12 m
- Distance to houses: 0 m
- Topography: generally flat, but Confluence is on a low hill
- Weather: cloudy, 27° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In Morocco's Northern region Rabat-Salé-Zemmour-Zaër, in agricultural land. Populated area with scattered housing. Exact location in a basic house.
- Given Name: The Giggling Laundry Confluence
Story actually continues with an attempt for 34N 7W.