05-May-2005 -- The story starts from 50N 11E.
This is the sixth visit out of a 10-confluence-hunt along the 50 degree latitude line. The special purpose of that trip was to visit as many confluence points as possible within one day.
Coming from 50N 7E we took the 'Autobahn' A60 towards Lüttich. We left the motorway at Prüm and followed small country roads into Luxembourg. Between the town Willerwitz and the village Enscherange we followed a steep track bringing us directly to the confluence.
We parked near the recently built monument, documented the spot and left shortly after without having a joyful sit-in at the bench next to the confluence. The GPS receiver showed a distance of 2 m to the confluence, which means that they had used the WGS 84 datum. According to the information board, they are going to install a facility that enables the visitors to measure their own locations using the sun and a clock.
The information board is in German, here is the translation:
The only Line-Intersection between Latitude and Longitude in Luxembourg
After this facility is completed, you will be able to
- locate your geographic position using the sun and your clock
- with help of sunrise and sunset you can recognise the change of the seasons
- measure the sun’s position and length of day
- get to know our neighbours at 50N and 6E
- read the local time at a sundial
Besides some basic information, they explain the ‘time-equation’ (Zeitgleichung). The Diagram on page 3 shows the variation of the time difference between GMT and the local time.
CP visit details:
- Time at the CP: 12:55 p.m.
- Driving time to get to the CP: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Driving distance: 127 km
- Distance of car parking: 19 m
- Distance to a track: 4 m
- Distance to a road: 410 m
- Distance to houses: 600 m
- Topography: at a grade, not far from a hilltop
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 1.25 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 5 m
- GPS height: 390 m
- Vegetation: Meadow, next to a wheat field, in the north a conifer forest.
- Weather: sunny, 23° C (felt temperature)
- Specialities: The location of the monument is according to the WGS 84 datum.
- Description of the CP: On a meadow in the mountainous region of northern Luxemburg. The village Enscherange in the valley can be seen from the CP. Nice location!
- Given Name: The Mosel Valley Confluence
Story continues at 50N 5E.