05-Aug-2020 -- This is the second out of 7 reports on a one-week bicycle trip (1100 km) from Riga to Warsaw. The story continues from 56°N 25°E.
I had spent the night in a rental flat in the town Anykščiai located 70 km north of this confluence point. After heavy rain in the night, the roads were not dusty anymore. Besides the main highways, local roads in Latvia and northern Lithuania are not sealed.
Shortly after 10 AM I had reached the village Avižonys and parked my bicycle, at the main road in 120 m distance to the confluence point.
I walked across a harvested stubble field directly to the point. I was surprised that I didn’t get muddy shoes – probably because the field hadn’t been ploughed yet. The nearest village houses are in a distance of 100 m. Local people saw me walking across the field, but my doing didn’t seem to attract further attention.
After the confluence visit I saw the Trakai Castle from the 14th century. I continued cycling southwards and spent the night camping at the river Neman near the village Merkine.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 140 m
- Distance to a track: 120 m
- Distance of bicycle parking: 120 m
- Time to reach the confluence from the road: 2 min
- Time at the confluence: 10:18 AM
- Measured height: 136 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 3 m
- Topography: flat
- Vegetation: agricultural land, subbles.
- Weather: overcast, 22° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Stubble Field I Confluence
The story continues at 54°N 24°E.