29-Dec-2019 -- This is the last out of 23 confluence visits in Saudi Arabia. The story starts at 28°N 48°E and continues from 25°N 47°E.
We visited this confluence point on our way from Riyadh to Hofuf and Dammam. Shortly after passing through the village Khurais, we left Highway 522 and turned into a side road for 12 kilometres. The side road has a lot of truck traffic, because it serves the oilfields in the area.
We parked in a distance of 1.8 km at the roadside and all the three of us walked to the confluence point. Even though our little friend was unfamiliar with the hot desert landscape we made it over the sand dunes to the confluence point.
The confluence is in a pure sand desert with hardly any plants. We found a single flower nearby. In general, the area is full of roads, overhead power lines and drilling platforms. However, the direct vicinity of the confluence is still untouched. The pictures of the cardinal directions do not show the infrastructure because the sand dunes block the view.
We walked back to the car and continued our trip to the oasis city Al Hofuf. The next and final day, we finished our loop around Saudi Arabia at our starting point Dammam.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 1.8 km
- Distance to a track: 1.8 km
- Distance of car parking: 1.8 km
- Time to reach the confluence point from the car: 30 minutes
- Time at the confluence point: 10:55 AM
- Measured height: 460 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 2 m
- Topography: hilly (due to the dunes)
- Vegetation: none – but a single flower
- Weather: sunny, 24° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Sand Dunes Snowman Confluence
The story finishes here.
More pictures of the trip can be found here.