06-Sep-2008 -- What a shame! This is my 200th confluence visit and there is still one within 73.2 km from my home that I have not yet been to. This unoccupied weekend invited for a visit. On Saturday morning at 6 am I left my home in Zurich by my favourite means of transportation, the bicycle. 73 km beeline turned out to become 108 km on county roads. I came across Schaffhausen, Engen, Emmingen, Liptingen, Neuhausen ob Eck and finally Worndorf. The later is the last outpost in 1 km distance before entering the forests around the confluence point. For the final approach to the confluence I was guided by my good old eTrex Summit GPS that I had mounted on the handle bars. After riding various forest tracks, I finally stood at that confluence on earth that has been visited most – thanks to Matthias Kremer’s visit, where he managed to bring 469 pupils and teachers to the spot.
However, when I reached the confluence, I was totally alone. With the weather being cold and cloudy, people seemed to prefer staying inside. The confluence is located on a mown meadow with some growth of autumn crocuses at this time of the year.
900 metres to the North-West, there is an interesting building, the so-called “Buchheimer Hans”. It is an old tower, that origins are not quite clear. The base walls probably date back to the roman age and the tower had been a part of a gothic church around the year 1200. Now the Buchheimer Hans belongs to the cemetery of the village Buchheim.
I also brought a “Geoexplorer” with me. This is a GNSS based device for GIS data logging. Although not primarily designed for confluencing, it was useful to achieve extremely precise single-point position accuracy.
After visiting the confluence and the Buchheimer Hans, I cycled to the town Radolfzell am Bodensee to visit my aunt Ilse. The next day I rode back home, unfortunately in the rain.
CP visit details:
- Distance to a road: 720 m
- Distance to a track: 19 m
- Distance of parking the bicycle: 0 m
- Distance to houses: 1 km
- Time for the hike: 0 minutes
- Time at the CP: 13:05 p.m.
- Riding time (distance) from Zurich: 5:19 hours (108 km)
- Measured height: 738.57 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 0.3 m
- Topography: hilly.
- Vegetation: grass, autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale), common dandelion, mixed forests in 30 m distance
- Weather: overcast, 15° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: On the Swabian Alb, a low mountain range in Baden-Württemberg. 6 km south of the Danube River on an open meadow, surrounded by forests. Between the villages Worndorf to the South and Buchheim to the North
- Given Name: The Geoexplorer Confluence