15-Dec-2020 -- This is the third out of 4 confluence reports on my two-week bicycle trip (2000 km) through Namibia. The story starts from 21°S 19°E and continues from 20°S 18°E.
On the 10th day of my bicycle trip in Namibia, I got up at 4:40 AM in Kalmanjab which is 60 km north of this confluence point. On this trip I got up that early almost every day, because it allowed me to hit the road at 5:30 AM with the first daylight and enjoy pleasant temperatures around 24 °C.
The confluence is 1.35 km from the dust road M76 (“M” stands here certainly not for “Motorway”) between Kalmanjab and Khorixas, but a sandy track leads up to a distance of 200 m to the confluence point. At the beginning of that track a sign reads in German “Kriegsgräberfürsorge”, which means that an organisation takes care of war graves here.
I parked at the main road and ran to the confluence. Cycling on minor tracks maximises the chance to get a flat tire due to the omnipresent thorns on the ground. If I had to leave the road, I would not even push my bike but rather carry it. The last 200 m were a bis upwards, which allowed for a nice view at the confluence point The confluence is covered with little boulders and bushes, which were at the time of visit without leaves due to the drought.
After the visit I returned back to my bicycle the same way that I had come and continued cycling southwards, reaching Khorixas before the afternoon heat would set in.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 1.35 km
- Distance to a track: 200 m
- Distance of bicycle parking: 1.35 km
- Time to reach the confluence from the road: 10 min
- Time at the confluence: 9:13 AM
- Measured height: 1155 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 3 m
- Topography: hilly, on a slight slope
- Vegetation: dry bushes and one tree with green leaves.
- Weather: sunny, 25° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The War Graves Confluence
The story finishes at 21°S 15°E.