10-Dec-2020 -- This is the second out of 4 confluence reports on my two-week bicycle trip (2000 km) through Namibia. The story continues from 21°S 19°E.
This confluence point is 17 km west of the main tarmac road B14 between Gobabis and Grootfrontain. It was a very hot day (40 °C) and I was running out of water after I had camped out in the wilderness near Okamatapati. So I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea to ride these extra 34 km on dust roads.
As you can see, I did it and it turned out to be a pleasant ride. The road condition was unexpectedly good and the heat of the day had not yet come. Although this is a public road to the Hairabib Lodge, I had to open two animal fences. I reached the confluence point in less than one hour. It is located at a distance of only 120 m from the road in dry bushland with high grass.
After the visit I returned the same way to the main road and continued cycling to Grootfrontein. It got really hot – when it is above 40°C, I have to drink at least one litre water per hour, if not more. I quickly ran out of it about 30 km before entering Grootfrontein. I also ran out of food, eating my last available calories by emptying a pure jar of peanut butter. I reached Grootfrontein very thirsty, hungry and with an empty battery of my mobile phone.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 120 m
- Distance to a track: 120 m
- Distance of bicycle parking: 120 m
- Time to reach the confluence from the main road: 60 min
- Time at the confluence: 9:44 AM
- Measured height: 1287 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 3 m
- Topography: flat
- Vegetation: Scattered thorny bushes and trees.
- Weather: sunny, 32° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Thirsty and Hungry Confluence
The story continues at 20°S 15°E.