30-Oct-2020 -- We have hiked within 16 days 500 km on foot around the western part of Crete. A summary of the trip can be found here. On the 15th day, we stumbled over this only confluence point on the island.
The three villages of Vagionia, Loukia and Vasiliki make up a triangle in which the confluence is centred. The confluence is located in an olive grove – which is not an astonishing fact, because olive trees are abundant on Crete.
The confluence is located almost exactly on an irrigation pipe at the edge of a spruce forest. The second notable feature is a bag with an insect killer, hanging right above the confluence point.
After the confluence visit, we hiked a bit further to the Church of Saint Titus (The church was built in the mid-6th to early 7th century AD) and Gortys, a town of ancient Crete.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 500 m
- Distance to a track: 200 m
- Time to reach the CP from a track: 5 minutes
- Time at the CP: 11:56 AM
- Measured height: 242 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 5 m
- Topography: fairly flat
- Vegetation: olive trees, grass
- Weather: sunny, 23° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Irrigation Pipe Confluence