27-Dec-2019 -- This is the 21st out of 23 confluence visits in Saudi Arabia. The story starts at 28°N 48°E and continues from 23°N 47°E.
We visited this confluence point on our way to Riyadh, coming from the south. The confluence is about 6 km east of the new direct highway. There is an asphalted road to the east that comes as close as 650 m to the confluence. At that location, we parked. It was an easy stroll to reach our goal on foot.
But in contrast to previous visits, this confluence has undergone big changes. It is now not in a remote and original desert anymore. There is a drilling hole for gas in a distance of about 100 m from the confluence point. It is hole number “DILM_12”. Currently, there is no drilling activity. The confluence is located on a wide access road to the drilling compound, which is surrounded by a double earth wall. Another noteworthy feature are the tree trunks of palm trees, which are directly at the confluence. Since there are no trees in the area, they must have been transported there.
We walked back to the car and continued our trip to the capital city Riyadh which we reached an hour later.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 600 m
- Distance to a track: 0 m
- Distance of car parking: 600 m
- Time to reach the confluence point from the car: 8 minutes
- Time at the confluence point: 9:31 AM
- Measured height: 488 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 4 m
- Topography: flat
- Vegetation: few scattered bundles of low herb-like plants
- Weather: sunny, 23° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Drilling Hole Confluence
The story continues at 25°N 47°E.
More pictures of the trip can be found here.