14-May-2010 -- This report is the sixth out of a series of eight confluences that we visited on a tour from Zurich (Switzerland) to La Rochelle in France. The story starts from 47°N 6°E and continues from 47°N 3°E.
After a lazy start of our second day of the tour, we decided to visit this confluence. We started in Issoudun, a town that is about 75 km (i.e. one confluence) further to the East. Again we used GPS navigation for road guidance. This time we simply entered the coordinates 47N 1E in the search field and let a guidance algorithm do the navigation job for us. Since we had only the coarse map of France in the navigation device, the automatic navigation ended as we arrived in the village Saint-Flovier, about 5.5 km from the confluence point. Here we had to take over the navigation ourselves. We cruised along some single track county roads and parked in one of those tracks in about 60 m beeline distance from the confluence. Then we walked between a wheat field with young sprouts and a just seeded field of a not definable crop, but couldn’t get much closer than 41 m. Any further approach than this would have meant to step into the wheat field and cause some damage.
The only notable feature near the confluence is the farm signposted with Les Loges. This farm is directly opposite of the nearby road in about 100 m distance. After completion of our visit, we directly drove to the Atlantic Coast near Rochefort – thereby not leaving out 46°N 1°W .
CP visit details:
- Beeline distance from car parking: 60 m
- Walking time (incl. return): 5 min
- Time at the CP: 12:26 pm
- Measured height: 137 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 4 m
- Minimal distance to the CP: 41 m
- Vegetation: In a wheat field.
- Distance to a road: 60 m
- Distance to a track: 60 m
- Distance to houses: 100 m (a nearby farm house)
- Topography: flat, some slight rolling hills.
- Weather: sunny, 20° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In an agricultural dominated area the Département Indre-et-Loire, in the Region Centre in France. Exact location in the middle of a wheat field.
- Given Name: The Les Loges Confluence
Story continues at 46°N 1°W.