13-May-2010 -- This report is the fourth out of a series of eight confluences that we visited on a tour from Zurich (Switzerland) to La Rochelle in France. The story starts from 47°N 6°E and continues from 47°N 4°E.
Again, we used GPS navigation for road guidance. This time we entered “Les Giroflées” in the search field - as it was close to our next destination i.e. this confluence point. The instrument would do the navigation job for us. However, since we had only the coarse map of France in the navigation device, the automatic navigation ended as we arrived in the village Les Giroflées. Now we had to take over the navigation ourselves. We parked in a single lane farming track 1 km beeline distance from the confluence. Eleonora preferred to stay in the car, because she didn’t feel well with the fact that we were blocking the track with our vehicle. In case that someone would pass, one of us should be able to move the car. So I snatched GPS receiver and camera and started a quick run into the forest.
I passed some prepared staples of firewood and continued the hike into the deep and dark forest. Some streams and swamps had to be crossed, but this posed no major barrier. Finally I found the confluence in a mixed forest of beech, spruce and oak trees. The ground cover shows some young (one year old) oak trees. Let’s hope that not too many futures confluence dancers will trample them down so that we’ll have an oak-tree confluence.
When I returned to the car – or let’s say to the place we originally had parked the car – I only found an empty spot. I started searching along the track in both directions, but couldn’t find any red Ford KA. My mobile phone turned out to be out of battery power, so I found myself in a mystery. But at last, I found Eleonora and the car parked in one parking spot in the village.
CP visit details:
- Beeline distance from car parking: 960 m
- Walking time (incl. return): 35 min
- Time at the CP: 5:58 pm
- Measured height: 204 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 4 m
- Minimal distance to the CP: 5 m
- Vegetation: Beech, Oak and Spruce Forest.
- Distance to a road: 840 m
- Distance to a track: 730 m
- Distance to houses: 1004 m (Les Giroflées)
- Topography: At the CP flat, but generally slightly hilly.
- Weather: Overcast, 13° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In the Département Cher, in the Region Centre in central France. Exact location in a forest.
- Given Name: The Lost KA Confluence
Story continues at 47°N 2°E.