15-Mar-2023 -- This visit was a low hanging fruit during our long-distance hike in Tunisia. Last year in March 2022, we had already hiked from Tunis to Chebba, and this time we continued to the island of Jerba. Actually, our hike had already started back in 2013 from our home in Zurich – find the whole route here.
On confluence day (the 5th day of our hike), we started from Shkira at 8 AM and reached the confluence in the later afternoon after a walk of almost 40 km. The location of the confluence is unique: It is 15 m from the centreline of the main highway P1 which connects the cities of Sfax and Gabés. Secondly it is in a riverbed which is most of the time dry. The confluence can be found right where the bridge crosses the wadi and about half way up the dam.
Of course, I descended the dam to obtain a zero reading. But in all, it took us less than 5 minutes to finish the documentation the confluence. This quick visit was perfect for us, as we had a very long hiking day. It was already dark when we reached our hotel in Gabés that night.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to the main road: 15 m
- Distance to a track: 15 m
- Distance to parking: all on foot
- Time to reach the CP from the road: 12 seconds
- Time at the CP: 4:45 PM
- Measured height: 15 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 5 m
- Topography: flat, but on a dam with 30° inclination.
- Vegetation: sparse bundles of grass besides bare soil.
- Weather: sunny, 20° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Road Bridge Dam Confluence