17-Feb-2020 -- This is the first out of 2 confluence visits during a 3-day bicycle trip in Sicily.
After continuing our hike from Zurich to Marsala for 9 days, I didn’t return home immediately. Instead, I toured another 3 days in the eastern part of Sicily with my bicycle.
On confluence day, I started in the early morning from the coastal town Gela. This winter had been very dry and sunny this year and this day was no exception. While I was enjoying the sunshine, Sicilian farmers are becoming increasingly worried about the drought. However, I had a great cycling day in the mountains, climbing and descending several hills. Finally, I visited the confluence along the way to the eastern coast on Strada Provinciale 80. I parked my bicycle at a distance of exactly 99 m from the confluence and walked on a footpath to the exact location.
The confluence is on a high plateau with grass, flowers, bushed and all over dotted with scattered stones. Olive trees and typical traditional Mediterranean stone walls delimit the plot of land.
I walked back to the bicyle and continued my trip to the eastern coast. I spent the night in the town Fiumefreddo.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 99 m
- Distance to a track: 20 m
- Distance of bicycle parking: 99 m
- Time to reach the confluence point from the bike: 2 minutes
- Time at the confluence point: 2:17 PM
- Measured height: 500 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 2 m
- Topography: hilly
- Vegetation: grass, various flowers (orchids), bushes, olive trees
- Weather: sunny, 14° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Stone Wall Confluence
The story continues at 38°N 15°E.