11-May-2015 -- This is the third out of 4 reports reaching confluence points during a bicycle trip through Austria, Czech Republic, and Slovakia. The story starts from 49°N 17°E and continues from 49°N 18°E.
In the morning of confluence day I started cycling from the village Benice (12 km from the CP) at 5:30 AM. Just 1 km west of the confluence point there is the nearby village Belá-Dulice. From Belá-Dulice an unpaved forest road leads up to 170 m to the confluence. However, in order to get closer to the point, the confluence hunter needs to cross a river and climb a steep hill. I tried to avoid these obstacles by following forest tracks riding further up the valley. But then, a huge puddle was blocking my way. I had to take off my shoes and then wade through it.
The confluence point is located in a mixed forest of deciduous and conifer trees. A forest track runs just 30 m from the point, but overcoming these last metres means climbing a steep slope through the forest. I managed to slip and mess up my clothes.
Right after the visit, I continued cycling further east, trying to reach one last confluence located in the High Tatra mountains.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to the road: 170 m (beeline)
- Distance of bicycle parking: 400 m
- Time to reach the CP from the road: 25 min
- Time at the CP: 6:56 AM
- Measured height: 555 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 6 m
- Topography: extremely steep slope, mountainous
- Vegetation: deciduous and conifer forest
- Weather: partly cloudy, 12° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Huge Puddle Confluence
The story finishes at 49°N 20°E.