31-Jul-2014 -- This is the first out of 5 reports reaching confluence points in Southern Norway.
Cycling and confluencing is my favourite combination of travel. To make it to a (to me new) confluence point and back to Zurich within a weekend, I normally approach the area by train and start cycling from a train station. This extended weekend including the Swiss National Day was long enough to be worth taking a flight.
On Wednesday after work I flew from Zurich to Oslo, unboxed my bicycle and cycled 32 km to this confluence point. I arrived at 11 PM when nightfall set in. So I camped out just 55 m from the confluence.
At 6:30 AM I got up and revisited the point, this time taking less blurred pictures. The point is 40 m away from a farm track into a grain field. Access without damaging the crops was possible up to a distance of 17 m. Right next to the confluence is a big dip that leads into a forest. The point is in an open area with good views in all directions.
I continued cycling towards the East, looking forward to discovering the surprises that the neighboring confluence point would bring.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to the road: 500 m
- Distance of bicycle parking: 55 m
- Time to reach the CP from the road: 5 min
- Time at the CP: 11:00 PM and 6:30 AM
- Measured height: 157 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 17 m
- Position accuracy: 6 m
- Topography: slightly hilly
- Vegetation: not yet harvested grains, spruce forests nearby
- Weather: sunny, 20° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Night Arrival Confluence
The story continues at 60°N 10°E.