17-Apr-2021 -- This is the fourth out of 5 confluence visits on our drive from Eswatini to Swakopmund in Namibia. The story starts from 28°S 19°E and continues from 25°S 16°E.
This confluence is in the Hardap Region about 10 km south of the desert outpost Solitaire. It is just 1.4 km from one of the main highways across Namibia – the C19. It is a pleasant hike across open grassland along the edge of a little mountain range with baobabs. On the way, you will also pass a single huge boulder.
At the time of our visit, the confluence was covered with dry but standing grass. It is located between two mountain ranges which are both in 1 km distance. The only feature we found at the confluence was dried cow dung.
After the visit, we drove the remaining 60 km northwards to the Rostock Ritz Desert Lodge where we spent the night.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 1400 m
- Distance to a track: 1400 m
- Distance of car parking: 1400 m
- Time to reach the confluence from the car: 20 minutes
- Time at the confluence: 3:25 PM
- Measured height: 1061 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 3 m
- Topography: flat, but mountains in the distance
- Weather: partly cloudy, 27° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Baobab and Boulder Confluence
The story finishes at 23°S 15°E.