20-May-2009 -- Many times I have driven past this confluence point on my way to my parents’ home in Wiesbaden. I kept an eye on this confluence for a long time, but I never had a chance for a visit due to the absence of daylight.
Finally, this sunny May day we drove from Zurich to Wiesbaden again. The solstice is now just one month ahead and sunset is not before 9 pm. At 8 pm we left the Autobahn A5 at Baden-Baden, crossed over the Rhine into France and approached the confluence via beautiful villages where almost every house is a timber frame construction. The last community before reaching the confluence is Schleithal, an extremely long village that has been build along its main road.
The confluence is located 40m from an intersection of a country road, a bike path, a forest track and a farming track. There is an opportunity to park the car, have a picnic and enjoy the wonderful landscape. It appears that this is all set up in particular for confluence visitors – if there were not these last 40m that separates you from the confluence.
In order to reach the exact spot, I had to feed the mosquitoes, feel the stinging-nettles and thorns. My GPS device guided me into dense and dark forest where GPS signals are disturbed and taking pictures is difficult due to long exposure times. But I took the challenge and carried out the “confluence dance” until I got a zero-reading.
Although this beautiful place was inviting for a sit-in on the bench, we opted to leave, since the mosquitoes were giving us hassle. We continued our drive and reached Wiesbaden about 1.5 hours later.
CP visit details:
- Beeline distance from car parking: 30 m
- Walking time (incl. return): 0 min
- Time at the CP: 8:42 pm
- Measured height: 155 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 9 m
- Minimal distance to the CP: 0 m
- Vegetation: dense vegetation consisting of mixed beech and birch forest. Next to agricultural land
- Distance to a road: 50 m
- Distance to a track: 30 m
- Distance to houses: 1.0 km
- Topography: very flat hills
- Weather: clear, 22° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: Located in the easternmost part of France in the department Bas-Rhin. 2.5 km from the border to Germany. Between the town Wissembourg and the village Schleithal at the edge of a huge forest to the north and agricultural land to the south.
- Given Name: The Bike Path Confluence