20-Mar-2009 -- This is the first out of six confluence points that I visited this beautiful sunny Friday in the eve of spring. On the previous day, I had participated at the Workshop on Positioning, Navigation and Communication in Hanover. My friend Holger would celebrate his 40th birthday on Saturday in Göttingen – so between those two events I had a day to spend in Northern Germany. So, I decided to follow my hobby and go line hunting.
I left a car-rental with a small personal car in Hanover City at 7:30 a.m. I followed the Autobahn A2 towards Hanover, left it at Soltau-South and reached shortly after the confluence point which is just 12 m from a country road. I parked the car in a distance of 500 m and walked to the exact location. The confluence is down a slope from the elevated road. I crossed a ditch filled with water and located the point on a forest track that runs parallel to the road and ditch in a deep spruce forest.
I wish I had taken gloves with me. Due to the clear sky, the temperature had dropped down to -4° Celsius during the night. Holding GPS and camera began to be painful.
I walked and drove back the same way that I had come and continued to 53°N 9°E.
I did not try to visit as many points on a day as possible since I was alone and would need some breaks after a while. Therefore, I did not hurry. But I also tried to avoid spending my time with other activities during the daylight hours.
CP visit details:
- Beeline distance from starting point: 71.2 km
- Departure time: 7:30 am
- Distance and time of parking: 496 m (8:22 am)
- Time at the CP: 8:35 am
- Minimal distance to the CP: 1 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 6 m
- Measured height: 84 m
- Vegetation: deep spruce forest, also stone pines
- Distance to a road: 12 m
- Distance to a track: 1 m
- Distance to houses: 130 m
- Topography: generally flat apart from the escarpment to the road.
- Weather: clear, -2° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: Located between Hamburg and Hanover. 11 km east of the town Soltau. Directly next to a country road.
- Given Name: The Steep Escarpment Confluence
Story continues at 53°N 9°E.