26-Oct-2008 -- This is the ninth out of nine confluences that I visited during a 3-day trip to Spain. The story starts from 41°N 4°W. After a visit of 43°N 5°W in the morning, I directly headed to this confluence. I had a little concern with my limitation in time: I had a flight out of Madrid in the early evening. Nevertheless I could not resist visiting one additional confluence. Without carrying any map of the region I set off via Palencia, continued on motorway A-62 up to Quintana del Puente and continued on National Road N-622 until I saw this lovely bridge. I turned into that county road and reached a village called Cobos de Cerrato (2.7 km distance). I tried out my poor Spanish language skills asking for the best approach. It is by far not simple for me to explain the idea of confluence hunting in Spanish. The woman that I asked could not really give me any advice. So I kept on going wherever my GPS arrow pointed.
I managed to drive up to 1.5 km distance on a road and up to 600 m on a farming track. After a short walk next to some harvested wheat fields I reached the confluence in a sunflower field. Since all flowers were aligned towards the east, the pictures of the four cardinal directions give quite an amusing impression.
I directly left this confluence for Madrid airport and flew back to Zurich. A fulfilled week-end was concluded. I was home at 10 p.m. right in time in order to get well-rested back to office again the next morning.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 1.5 km
- Distance to a track: 530 m
- Distance of parking the car: 600 m
- Distance to houses: 2.7 km
- Time starting the hike: 11:56 a.m.
- Time at the CP: 12:04 p.m.
- Measured height: 889 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 4 m
- Vegetation: dried sunflowers, harvested grain fields nearby.
- Topography: slightly undulating
- Time back from hike: 12:20 a.m.
- Weather: sunny, 22° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: Situated near Cobos de Cerrato, in the province of Palencia in Castile and León. Agricultural landscape.
- Given Name: The Aligned Sunflowers Confluence
Story ends here.