05-May-2005 -- The story starts from 50N 11E.
This is the eighth visit out of a 10-confluence-hunt along the 50 degree latitude line. The special purpose of that trip was to visit as many confluence points as possible within one day.
Coming from 50N 5E in Belgium, we had 3 options to reach this confluence: a) highway b) main roads c) small roads. Each option had its own pros and cons. We finally choose option b) which was probably the best. We came through the towns Givet, Phillippeville, Chimay, Fourmies and Wignehies. In the last town, the GPS receiver suggested to go another kilometre south, so we did. Following some small roads, we reached the CP easily.
CP visit details:
- Time at the CP: 17:48 p.m.
- Driving time to get to the CP: 1 hour 48 minutes
- Driving distance: 112 km
- Distance of car parking: 96 m
- Distance to a track: 41 m
- Distance to a road: 41 m
- Distance to houses: 60 m
- Topography: slight slope
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0.49 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 4 m
- GPS height: 188 m
- Vegetation: Meadow with a single plum tree in 6m distance.
- Weather: sunny, 17° C (felt temperature)
- Specialities: Belongs to a farm, the farmhouse is about 60m to the north.
- Description of the CP: Near the border of Belgium. Dense populated area. Mostly farmland between the towns.
- Given Name: The Plum Tree Confluence
Story continues at 50N 3E.