05-May-2005 -- The story starts from 50N 11E.
This is the fourth visit out of a 10-confluence-hunt along the 50 degree latitude line. The special purpose of that trip was to visit as many confluence points as possible within one day.
Coming from 50N 9E we took the 'Autobahn' A3 and A66 towards my hometown Wiesbaden. It was a weird feeling to pass by my hometown without a visit of my family and friends. But there was no time for it considering the goal of the day. The travel time from the last CP was only 45 minutes!
The smoothest and quickest confluence trip I ever had. Even in the town Winkel we did not get confused by one-way streets. Arriving at the point, I saw that we had only a few minutes left to catch the next ferry across the river Rhein (in 1.3 km distance). So we quickly documented the confluence and did not bother the ‘confluence owners’. I actually was wondering why they hadn’t posted a sign ‘Confluence Visit Entry Fee XX€ !’ yet.
In a very haste, we ran all over the place in order to spot the confluence monument. Finally, we found it, shot the picture, drove off and successfully caught the 9:30 car ferry to Ingelheim.
CP visit details:
- Time at the CP: 9:10 a.m.
- Driving time to get to the CP: 45 minutes
- Driving distance: 145 km
- Distance of car parking: 53 m
- Distance to a track: 25 m
- Distance to a road: 25 m
- Distance to houses: 5 m
- Topography: slight grade
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 22.70 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 5 m
- GPS height: 104 m
- Vegetation: Back yard with a lawn.
- Weather: cloudy, 13° C (felt temperature)
- Specialities: There is the confluence monument 120 m from the intersection of the confluence due to the WGS datum grid lines.
- Description of the CP: At the northern rim of the town Winkel (officially called Oestrich Winkel). Just on the opposite side of the street, the famous whine area stretches along the southern part of the Taunus mountain range. You can say it is located in the heart of the Rheingau, which is a famous wine and tourist region in Germany.
- Given Name: The Heart of the Rheingau Confluence
Story continues at 50N 7E.