15-Nov-2009 -- This is the last out of seven confluence points that I visited during a 3-day trip to Spain. The story starts from 40°N 3°W.
After visiting 39°N 4°W in the early morning, I drove to the City Toledo (15 km south of the confluence). Toledo is the capital of the province Toledo, is a declared UNESCO world heritage site since 1986 and has 79,000 inhabitants.
If you take the motorway A-42 towards Madrid (and not the AP-41 as I unfortunately did) you can take the exit “55” (a number that represents a distance of 55 km from the kilometer zero in Madrid) and get to the confluence point by car within 5 minutes. 2 km before reaching the village Yunclillos, a direct gravel road leads to the confluence.
I parked 260 m from the degree confluence point near the escarpments of an open pit mine. These mines are the only features in the otherwise flat area. Motor-bikers have used the uneven terrain as a cross-country racecourse.
The confluence however, is not located on the playground for motor-bikers, but on one of these huge agricultural fields that dominate the landscape in the area. The field has already been harvested and smoothed. It was not possible to determine the former or the future crop species. The field did not have any signs of vegetation. One field across, there is a service station for plant irrigation, as can be seen in picture #1 which was taken from the nearby road using the zoom-lens.
I finished my trip to Spain right after this confluence visit. One hour later I entered Madrid Barajas International Airport and another hour later I was in the air flying back to Switzerland.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 2 km
- Distance to a track: 200 m
- Distance of parking the car: 266 m
- Distance to houses: 500 m
- Time starting the hike: 3:07 p.m.
- Time at the CP: 3:23 p.m.
- Measured height: 512 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 2 m
- Vegetation: none.
- Topography: general area is flat. In 200 m are some minor escarpments.
- Time back from hike: 3:45 p.m.
- Weather: sunny, 23° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In Provincia de Toledo, Communidad de Andalucía in Central Spain. Agricultural landscape.
- Given Name: The Motor-Bike Playground Confluence
The story ends here.