14-Nov-2009 -- This is the fifth out of seven confluence points that I visited during a 3-day trip to Spain. The story starts from 40°N 3°W.
I came from 38°N 3°W which is located exactly 87.832 km further to the East. In-between both CP visits, I squeezed in a brief visit of the UNESCO declared historic Renaissance center of Úbeda town, which is situated half-way between both confluence points.
After leaving Úbeda, I realized that I had not much time left to visit this confluence before sunset. My approach was from Andújar, a town of 38,000 souls in the Guadalquivir river valley, located 6 km north-west of the confluence point. From the southern end of Andújar there is a direct road to the confluence point, which I missed. Instead I reached the village Lahiguera. As a result, I overshot by 3 km to the South. However, there is a beautiful country lane that leads directly to the confluence.
At a distance of 150 m I left the car and hiked into the olive grove where the confluence is located. You need to cross a dry river bed and walk slightly up the hill afterwards. Due to DGPS (space-borne differential GPS), the open sky and low TEC (Total inospheric Electron Content) at the time of sunset, I got the amazing accuracy of 1 m absolute coordinate precision into the GPS display.
The olives have partially turned black already and harvest will begin soon. The landscape is dominated by olive groves and it is also the dominating income factor for the locals. There are no other plants besides olive trees as the soil was totally dry at the time of my visit. There is an overhead power line 200 m south of the confluence point.
Later, I continued the trip further north towards Madrid, because my flight back home was scheduled for the next day.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 150 m
- Distance to a track: 150 m
- Distance of parking the car: 155 m
- Distance to houses: 3 km (village Lahiguera)
- Time starting the hike: 5:16 p.m.
- Time at the CP: 5:20 p.m.
- Measured height: 243 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 1 m
- Vegetation: olive trees, olive trees and some olive trees.
- Topography: slightly rolling hills
- Time back from hike: 5:30 p.m.
- Weather: sunny, 22° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In Provincia de Jaén, Communidad de Andalucía in Southern Spain. In a huge olive grove.
- Given Name: The Nothing But Olives Confluence
Story continues at 39°N 4°W.