14-Nov-2009 -- This is the fourth out of seven confluence points that I visited during a 3-day trip to Spain. The story starts from 40°N 3°W.
Coming from 39°N 2°W near Albacete I stayed the night in the small but historic town Alcaraz half way between Albacete and this confluence. The next morning I continued my trip on N-322 up to Villacarillo (12 km from CP) followed by county road A-6204 and finally on a minor road up to the Village Chilluévar where I parked my vehicle at a beeline distance of 2.7 km. Certainly I could have approached the confluence point much closer on four wheels, but I preferred the pleasant hike through the village and Andalucía’s landscapes.
My hike on this sunny and amazingly hot November day took 1.5 hours. After I had left the village (which extends quite a lot up the hill), I hiked mostly through pine forests and olive groves. The hike turned out to be more challenging than I had imagined, because the area consists of steep slopes that had to be climbed.
The confluence is located at one of these slopes, surrounded by olive trees. Interestingly, it is in the center of a clearing and right on a former fire place. I could not make a clear decision whether it is pure randomness or someone had deliberately chosen this special site for setting up his campfire.
The olives have turned black already and harvest will begin soon. The landscape is dominated by olive groves and it is also the dominating income factor for the locals.
At a distance of 70 m there is a farmhouse. There has not been much change since the first visitor took a picture of it in 2002.
On another route, I reached Chilluévar after a one hour hike. Back in the village, I had lunch in a typical tapas bar.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 2.7 km
- Distance to a track: 60 m
- Distance of parking the car: 2.7 km
- Distance to houses: 70 m (a single farmhouse)
- Time starting the hike: 11:03 a.m.
- Time at the CP: 12:24
- Measured height: 705 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 2 m
- Vegetation: olive grove, nearby pine forest.
- Topography: steep terrain
- Time back from hike: 1:30 p.m.
- Weather: sunny, 26° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In Provincia de Jaén, Communidad de Andalucía in Southern Spain. In a huge olive grove.
- Given Name: The Fireplace Confluence
Story continues at 38°N 4°W.