17-Nov-2013 -- This is the third out of 7 reports reaching 5 and attempting 2 confluence points in Botswana. The story starts from 24S 25E and the previous report is 24S 24E.
Reaching this confluence point was a race with the time. Actually, I did not consider visiting the Confluence, believing that it would be too dark by the time we would pass the point. But everything went extremely smooth. Elinonora drove non-stop on the asphalted Trans-Kalahari Highway until the minimal distance of 1800 m was reached. While Elionora stayed in the car, I quickly ran to the exact confluence location. I reached the confluence just before sunset. When I returned to the car at 7 PM (after being away 40 minutes), full moon had already risen.
We continued another 35 km on the Trans-Kalahari Highway and stayed in the little desert town Kang.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 1800 m
- Distance to an unpaved road: 1400 m (the former highway)
- Time at nearest distance to CP: 6:38 PM
- Measured height: 1096 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 1 m
- Position accuracy: 3 m
- Topography: flat
- Vegetation: Scattered bushes and trees, knee-high bundles of grass.
- Weather: sunny, 23° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Full Moon Confluence
The story continues is at 23S 22E.