17-Aug-2014 -- This is the last out of 3 reports reaching confluence points in Central France. The story continues from 46°N 1°E. The previous report is 46°N 2°E.
After spending a chilly night under the stars near Auzances (40 km west of this confluence point), I continued cycling up and down the hills of the Auvergne. It was already noon time when I reached the village Charbonnières les Vieilles, which is located in a beeline distance of only 500 m to the confluence point. From there, a little asphalted road leads down to the confluence. Only for the last 40 m I had to abandon my bicycle and walk over a meadow to the exact location. I wasn’t the only confluence visitor, several cows had been there before me. They didn’t take much notice of me, since I wasn’t the first confluence visitor at this site.
The open meadow has one single tree in its centre. The confluence is at its lower part next to a fenced orchard.
Restaurants were not open on Sunday in Charbonnières. So I went 20 km further to Riom where I manage to get a great French lunch before afternoon closure. This was the present to me after intense and exhausting riding through the hills of Central France.
From Riom I took a train to Lyon, a TGV to Montbéliard and another TGV to Zurich, arriving home at 22:30 PM.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to the road: 40 m
- Distance of bicycle parking: 40 m
- Time to reach the CP from the road: 1 minute
- Time at the CP: 12:00 noon
- Measured height: 613 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 4 m
- Topography: hilly, at an inclination
- Vegetation: grass, nearby orchard and a single oak tree
- Weather: sunny, 25° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Restaurant Less Confluence
The story finishes here.