the Degree Confluence Project

Venezuela : Bolívar

38.0 km (23.6 miles) SW of Mayupa, Bolívar, Venezuela
Approx. altitude: 426 m (1397 ft)
([?] maps: Google MapQuest OpenStreeMap ConfluenceNavigator)
Antipode: 6°S 117°E

Accuracy: 4.0 km (2.5 mi)
Quality: good

Click on any of the images for the full-sized picture.

#2: Total exhaustion #3: Night in the jungle #4: Only snack #5: Pemones children #6: Back home #7: Track

  { Main | Search | Countries | Information | Member Page | Random }

  6°N 63°W (incomplete) 

#1: Finished water

(visited by Polo Andrea)




08-Mar-2013 --

Confluence 6ºN-63ºW San Salvador de Paul 05-12 March 2013

Since more than a month studying the possibility of this confluence, program my way out, alone, (as some friends invited, were found unable by this date) on Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at h. 7 am, and my super-ram boot from San Cristobal, in the extreme western side of Venezuela, on my way via Barinas – San Carlos – (disastrous road ... I encounter several damaged cars), Dos Caminos h. 5 pm, (there I hear about the death of President Hugo Chavez) - (follow the road not so good ...) Valle de la Pascua, arrival h. 8 pm. Being a lonely road and the area not so sure, I stop the night in a Motel to rest.

On March 6 at 6:00 am back to my way from Valle La Pascua, via El Tigre - Ciudad Bolivar - coming to La Paragua at 2:30 pm, with a total of 1,430 km. I stay as a guest in the house of my friend Gabriela Corvetto thanking her with an abundant market of items lacking in the town.

The next day, March 07th, with the help of Gaby, at the airport in Las Paragua at 8 am I get a flight with a Cessna plane to San Salvador de Paul: 40 min flight, there I contact a friend Jorge Arias, native of San Cristobal, which helps me meet Lucio Silva Alex Gonzalez and two Pemon Indians and guides in the area.

Today, March, 08th "International Women's Day" and birthday of my dear russian mother-in law Ludmila to whom I dedicate this achievement, just one year ago today "crowned" the 6ºN-67ºW (see : http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?visitid=18392); in the morning we walked down a path to the east, from San Salvador de Paul with Lucio, 28 years old, the Pemon charger, of the indigenous Pemon of Chuaito (Inepa) 4 km. we find Alex approx. 30 years, a skilled person who knows the area.

In Chuaito 20% of Indians were sick due to a strong influenza virus, I gave to the captain a box of several medicines opportunely brought to give to the natives. Alex Gonzalez is also pretty sick, but chooses to go together with me to my excursion possibly compromised as I gave him a market for him and his family. He has a wife and 11 children, I was impressed the way their children enjoyed sharing a can of condensed milk and casaba…. A delicacy!

We made our way at 11 am, along a path known by Alex. On our tour we found several traces of "roads" that for the type of traces of manure, Alex confirms that they are "ways of the Dantos" (Tapirus terrestris), peccaries (Pecari tajacu) and capybaras (capybaras); highly wanted and hunted by the natives.

We took 8 liters of water supplied in 1st creek found at 2 km ... which turned out to be the only creek that had water, the 2nd and 3rd creek were dry.. a 1 km. away from each other, the topography of our course indicates a slight, steady rise and of course we were not going to find more water.

The temperature exceeded 40° C and the humidity was very high, a deadly combination that makes you sweat a lot and quickly dehydrates you. At 4.00 pm we had no water, missing just over 4 km. With the current slow pace of progress in the dense jungle, would be more than 8 hours of walking to reach the point -0 -.

We camped the night in the jungle. I spent all night thinking what was better for Alex since he is very dehydrated and sick and combined with the conditions of total lack of water, the next day we decided to go back for another shortcut that Alex knew, and we could approach the water canal at a closer point, as they continue to the confluence, almost a whole day of road without a drop of water, would be a real suicide. Nature rules here!

The logistic required: two days walk, intermediate camp, carrying 8 liters of water per person and more food, because the forest is very intricate and advanced only half kilometer per hour. It is not convenient to walk through the jungle at night because the animals come out to hunt, especially the dangerous poisonous snakes, the most feared by the miners and the Indians of the area is the "cuaima piña" (Lachesis muta muta-) ... in the night we heard their typical rhythmic charm .... Lucio Silva’s mother died three years ago precisely because of-the "cuaima piña".

The next morning we started back, the sun and heat are harsh, I feel severely dehydrated and subsequently for several hours my mouth has been completely dry. To provoke salivation I wet my mouth with my own urine. When we finally arrived to the 1st canal, with mud and little water, I jumped into it to get cool, even though the two guides did not jump in "due to caution and fear of snakes."

We arrived almost at noon to the mining town of San Salvador de Paul, a deserved rest. I took this opportunity to meet the people and especially the "code" of life in a mining town. We must wait patiently during three days until the morning of Tuesday March 12th when the first flight of cargo, an Antonov AN-2 model of the 2nd World War, headed to La Paragua.

As I say goodbye to my host family, I start my journey back (h.13:50) with my Super-Ram of La Paragua via Ciudad Bolivar (h.15, 20), El Tigre (H.16, 30), (rerouting) via Barcelona (h.18:00), Boca de Uchire (h.20:20), Caracas (h.22:00), Valencia, Campo Carabobo (h.01 am stop and rest with km.980 travelled),departed at 6 am, Barinas (h.9), San Cristóbal (h.14:00 for a total of Km. 1.605.

This I have no doubt has been the most difficult Confluence I've done, (my 10th grade scale from 1 ° to 10 °) in which I think I have put to test my limits .. and I have to consider my 62 years are limiting me.

Travel Summary: Total vehicle km. 3.035 over 600 liters of gasoline (35 driving hours). Flights Total km. 230 (1:30 hr.), Trail walking km. 10 +10 (total 18 hours).


08-Mar-2013 --

Desde más de un mes de estudio de la factibilidad de esta confluencia, programo mi salida, solo, (ya que algunos amigos invitados, se encontraron imposibilitados por esta fecha) el día martes 05 Marzo 2013 a las h. 7 am, y con mi super-ram arranco desde San Cristóbal, en el extremo Occidente de Venezuela, rumbo vía Barinas – San Carlos – ( carretera desastrosa … encuentro varios vehículos accidentados), Dos Caminos h. 5,oo pm, (allí me entero de la muerte del presidente Hugo Chávez) – (sigue la carretera ni tan buena… ) Valle de la Pascua, llegada h. 8 pm. Siendo la carretera muy sola y la zona ni tan segura, me detengo la noche en un Motel a descansar.

El 06 Marzo a las 6 am vuelvo a mi camino desde Valle de la Pascua, vía el Tigre – Ciudad Bolívar – llegando a La Paragua a las 2:30 pm, con un total de 1.430 km . Me quedo de huésped en la casa de la amiga Gabriela Corvetto agradeciendo con un abundante mercado de rubros muy escasos en el pueblo.

El siguiente día, 07 Marzo, con la ayuda de Gaby, en el aeropuerto de Las Paragua a las 8 am consigo un vuelo con una avioneta Cesna hacia San Salvador de Paul: 40 min de vuelo; allí contacto al amigo Jorge Arias, originario de San Cristóbal, el cual me ayuda a encontrarme con Alex González y Lucio Silva, dos indios pemones y baquianos de la zona.

Hoy, 08 Marzo, “Día Internacional de la Mujer” y día de cumpleaños de mi querida suegra rusa Ludmila a quienes dedico esta hazaña; justo hace un año como hoy “coronaba” la 6ºN-67ºW (ver link: http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?visitid=18392); en la mañana salimos caminando por un sendero hacia el este, desde San Salvador de Paul con Lucio de 28 años, el pemón cargador, hacia la comunidad indígena Pemón de Chuaito (Inepa) 4 km. aprox nos encontramos con Alex de aprox. 30 años, el baquiano conocedor de la zona.

En Chuaito el 20% de los indígenas estaban enfermos por una fuerte virosis de influenza, entrego al capitán una caja de medicinas varias oportunamente llevada para regalar a los lugareños.

Alex González también se encuentra bastante enfermo, pero opta acompañarme a mi excursión posiblemente comprometido ya que le llevo mercado a su familia: tiene una esposa y 11 hijos; me quedé impresionado como sus hijos disfrutaban compartiendo una lata de leche condensada con casabe… un manjar!

Seguimos nuestro camino a las 11 am, por un sendero conocido por Alex… En nuestro recorrido encontramos varia marcas de “caminos” que, por el tipo de los rastros de estiércol, Alex confirma que son “caminos de los Dantos”(Tapirus terrestres), Báquiros (Pecari tajacu) y Chigüiros (Capibaras) ; muy apetecidos y cazados por los indígenas.

Llevamos 8 litros de agua, abastecido en el 1º caño encontrado a 2 km, el cual resultó ser el único caño que tenía agua, el 2º y el 3º caño estaban seco a 1 km. de distancia uno del otro. La topografía del terreno de nuestro rumbo indica una ligera y constante subida y por supuesto ya no íbamos a encontrar más agua.

La temperatura superaba los 40ºC y la humedad era muy alta, una combinación fatal que te hace transpirar muchísimo y te deshidrata rápidamente. A las 4:00 pm no tenemos más agua, faltan poco más de 4 km. Con el actual y lento ritmo de avance en la tupida selva, serían más de 8 horas de camino para llegar al punto -0-.

Acampamos la noche en la selva. Pasé toda la noche pensando que mejor hacer: Alex está muy deshidratado y enfermo y sumado a las condiciones de total falta de agua, decidimos que el día siguiente regresaríamos por otro atajo que Alex conocía, y nos acercaba al caño con agua en un punto más cercano, ya que seguir hacia la confluencia, prácticamente un día entero de camino sin una gota de agua, sería un verdadero suicidio. .. Aquí manda la naturaleza!!

La logística exige: dos días de camino, un campamento intermedio, llevar 8 litros de agua por persona y mas comida, ya que la selva está muy intricada y se avanza solamente medio kilómetro por cada hora. No es conveniente caminar por la selva de noche porque los animales salen para cazar, sobre todo las peligrosas serpientes venenosas, la más temida por los mineros y los indígenas de la zona es la “cuaima piña” (Lachesis muta-muta), en la noche escuchamos el llamado rítmico típico de ella. Cuenta Lucio Silva que su madre había muerto hace tres años precisamente por la picada de la cuaima piña.

La mañana siguiente comenzamos el regreso, el sol y el calor son inclementes, me siento severamente deshidratado y desde hacen varias horas tengo la boca completamente seca. Para provocar salivación me mojo la boca con mis propia orine. Cuando al fin llegamos al 1º caño, con lodo y aun poca agua, me zumbo en ella para refrescarme, aun los dos baquiano no se zumbaron por “precaución y temor a las culebras”.

Casi al medio día llegamos al pueblito minero de San Salvador de Paul, merecido descanso. Aprovecho para conocer la gente y sobretodo el “código” de vida de un pueblo minero. Hay que esperar pacientemente tres días hasta la mañana del martes 12 Marzo, cuando llega el primer avión de carga, un Antonov AN-2 modelo de la 2ª guerra mundial, rumbo a la Paragua.

Esta sin duda alguna fue la Confluencia más difícil de la que he realizado, (grado 10º de mi escala de 1º a 10º) en la cual considero que he puesto a dura prueba mis límites, ya tengo que considerar que mis 62 años me están limitando.

Resumen del Recorrido: Vehículo total km. 3.035 más de 600 litros de gasolina (35 horas manejando). Vuelos total km. 230 (1:30 h.), Sendero caminando km. 10+10 (total 18 horas).


08-Mar-2013 --

Da oltre un mese sto studiando la possibilitá di realizzare questa confluenza, sicchè programmo la partenza da solo ( giacchè alcuni amici invitati, sono impossibilitati per impegni di lavoro) per il giorno martedí 5 marzo 2013 alle ore 7 del mattino. E con la mia Super-Ram parto da San Cristobal, all’estremo occidentale del Venezuela, via Barinas, San Carlos (strada disastrosa.. dove incontro diverse macchine in panne), Dos Caminos, (alle ore 17 la radio comunica la morte del presidente Hugo Chavez), Valle de la Pascua, alle ore 20 (pernotto in un motel ) al mattino presto, 06 Marzo, riprendo il viaggio ... El Tigre, Ciudad Bolivar, ed arrivo a La Paragua alle ore 14,30 con 1.430 km, percorsi. Rimango ospite a casa dell’amica Gabriella Corvetto, contraccambiando con una abbondante spesa di articoli scarsi nella zona.

Il giorno dopo, 07 Marzo alle 8 del mattino, nel piccolo aeroporto de La Paragua, e con l’aiuto di Gaby, riesco a trovare un posto in un’avionetta Cesna per San Salvador de Paul (un “pueblo minero” di cercatori d’oro e diamanti): 40 minuti di volo. Per grande casualità trovo Jorge Arias,originario di San Cristobal, il quale mi aiuta ad incontrami con Alex González e Lucio Silva, due indigeni Pemones, amici suoi e conoscitori della zona.

Oggi, 08 Marzo, “giornata internazionale della donna” e compleanno di mia suocera russa Ludmila alla quale dedico questo atto: esattamente l’8 marzo dell’anno scorso, coronavo la 6ºN-67ºW (vedi link: http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?visitid=18392 ) .. al mattino iniziamo il cammino per un sentiero dal “pueblo minero” San Salvador de Paul, con Lucio di circa 28 anni, il Pemon portatore, con direzione est verso la Comunitá indigena Pemon di “Chuaito” (Inepa) a 4 km, aprossimatamente ci incontriamo con Alex di circa 30 anni, conoscitore della zona.

In Chuaito il 20% degli indigeni erano ammalati per una forte virosi di influenza; consegno al “capitano” una borsa di medicine varie opportunamente portate con me per regalare loro.

Anche Alex Gonzales è abbastanza ammalato, pero decide accompagnarmi nella spedizione possibilmente compromesso per l’abbondante quantitá di prodotti di mercado che consegno alla sua familia: ha 11 figli, rimasi fortemente impressionato vedere como i suoi bambini godevano condividendo un barattolo di latte condensato spalmato sul “casabe” (il loro insipido pane di yuca) ... una delicatezza!

Continuiamo il nostro cammino alle h. 11,oo per un sentiero conosciuto per Alex. Nel nostro percorso incontriamo diverse tracce, sterco e percorsi di Dantos (Tapirus terrestres), Báquiros (Pecari tajacu) e Chigüiros (Capibaras): selvaggina e tipica alimentazione indigena. Portiamo con noi 8 litri di acqua attinti nel 1º ruscello incontrato a 2 km da Chuaito, il quale risultó essere l’unico che aveva acqua, il 2º ed il 3º ruscello ad 1 km. l’uno dall’altro, erano totalmente secchi; e la topografia del terreno indica una leggera e costante salita, per cui non avremmo piú trovato dove rifornirci d’acqua.

La temperatura superava i 40º C, e l’umiditá era molto alta, una combinazione fatale che ti fa traspirare moltissimo e ti disidrata rapidamente. Alle h.16,oo non abbiamo nè una goccia d’acqua, mancano circa 4 km. per la meta. Con l’attuale e lento ritmo di avanzamento nella selva, mancavano ancora piú di 8 ore di cammino per arrivare al punto -0-. Accampiamo la notte nella selva. Passo quasi tutta la notte pensando la migliore opzione: Alex è molto disidratato ed ammalato e sommando la condizione della mancanza totale d’acqua decidiamo che il giorno dopo ritorneremo per una scorciatoia che Alex conosce ed arriveremo al ruscello con acqua in un punto piú vicino, giacché continuare ad avanzare verso la confluenza praticamente un giorno intero privi di acqua, sarebbe stato un vero suicidio. Quí comanda la Natura!

La logistica esige: due giorni cammino, un campamento intermedio, oltre 8 litri di acqua per persona e più rifornimenti... giacchè la selva è molto fitta e l’avanzamento è di circa 500 mt, per hora. Inoltre è pericoloso camminare nella selva di notte perchè gli animali escono per cacciare, sopratutto i velenosi serpenti e la piú temuta dagli indigeni e cercatori d’oro della zona è la “cuaima pigna” (Lachesis muta-muta) che si ascolta chiaramente di notte il suo particolare richiamo per attirare le sue prese. .... Racconta Lucio Silva che sua madre morí tre anni fa precisamente per un morso della “cuaima pigna”.

Il mattino seguente cominciamo il ritorno, il sole ed il calore sono inclementi, mi sento severamente disidratato e da molte ore ho la bocca completamente secca, per provocare salivazione mi bagno la bocca con la mia propia urina. Quando finalmente arriviamo al 1º ruscello con molto fango e ancora poca acqua, mi tuffo per rifrescarmi, peró noto che gli indigeni bevono cauti dalla riva per precauzione e timore dei serpenti. –Quasi a mezzogiorno arriviamo a San Salvador de Paul, .... meritato riposo.

Approfitto per conoscere la gente e sopratutto il “codice” di vita di un “pueblo minero”. Bisogna aspettare pazientemente tre giorni; solo al mattino del 12 Marzo quando arriva il primo aere di carico, un Antonov AN-2 modello della 2ª guerra mondiale, con rumbo a La Paragua.

Ringrazio di cuore e saluto la familia anfitriona e intraprendo il viaggio di ritorno guidando per 19 ore e 1.605 km, la mia Super-Ram. Questa confluenza è stata senza dubbio la piú difficile delle mie realizzate, (con grado 10º massimo, della mia scala da 1º a 10º) nella quale considero che ho messo a dura prova i miei limiti, .. ormai devo considerare che i miei 62 anni .. mi stanno limitando...


08-Mar-2013 --

Перевод на русскмй язык

Точка слияния 6 º С.Ш- 63 º З.Д., Сан-Сальвадор -де-Поль с 5 по 12 Март 2013

После месяца изучения возможности посещения этой точки, я програмирую

мой выход в одиночку , ( так как некоторые приглашенные друзья были заняты ) на вторник, 5 Марта 2013, и в 7 утра выезжаю с моим супер RAM из Сан-Кристобаля , крайней западной точки Венесуэлы, направляясь через Баринас - Сан-Карлос -( ужасное состояние дорог ... и естесственно, много машин с поломками) , Dos Caminos ( прибытие в 5 часов вечера-там я слышу о смерти президента Венесуэлы Уго Чавеса ) - Валье-де- ла- Паскуа(прибытие в 8 часов вечера) . Так как дорога очень одинокая и незнакомая, то я останавливаюсь на ночь в мотеле для отдыха .....

6 марта в 6 утра я продолжаю мой путь от Пасхи , через Tiger - Сьюдад- Боливар до Ла Paragua , прибытие в 14:30 , в общей сложности проезд составил 1430 км . Я остаюсь гостевать в доме Габриэла Corvetto, отблагодарив и снабдив ее столь необходимыми продуктами. На следующий день , 07 марта, с помощью Габи, в аэропорту Лас- Paragua в 8 утра удалось достать билеты на самолет Cessna в Сан-Сальвадор -де-Поль : 40 минут полета . По прибытию я связался с моим контактом Хорхе Ариас, уроженцем из Сан - Кристобаля, который помог мне найти Лусио Силва и Алекс Гонсалес, двоих индейцев из племени пемон, проживающих в этом районе.

Сегодня , 08 Mарта, в Международный женский день и день рождения моей дорогой тещи Людмилы , которой и посвящаю этот подвиг, (год назад в этот же день я коронавал точку 6 С.Ш.-67 °З.Д. -см. ссылку : http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?visitid=18392), ... мы вышли по тропинке на Восток от Сан- Сальвадор-де- Поль с Лусио, 28 лет, к индийскому поселению пемон Chuaito ( Inepa ) , которое находится в 4 км, где мы встретились с Алексом.

В Chuaito 20% индейцев были больны гриппом , и я передал зараннее приготовленную коробку лекарств капитану племени . Алекс Гонсалес также болен гриппом, но он решает сопровождать меня к моей точке, из благодарности от принесенных ему продуктов: у него жена и 11 детей, я был впечатлен , как они наслаждплись сгущенным молоком с маниоки ... ! Мы продолжили наш путь в 11 часов утра , по тропе, известной только Алексу....В пути мы находим различные марки следов и , как подтверждает

Алекс, они от животных, являющихся деликатесом в диете местных жителей: Dantos (Tapirus terrestres) , Пекари (Pecari tajacu) и Капибары (Capibaras), С собой у нас 8 литров воды, этот резерв мы пополнили через 2 километра в первом ручье, это был единственный непересохший ручей; второй и третьий (на расстояни 1 километра друг от друга) оказались сухими. Топография нашего курса говорила о небольшом , но устойчивом подъеме и, конечно, не было надежды наити водоисточники впереди,уже началась эпоха засухи.

Продолжили наш путь, сильно потея при температуре выше 40 ° C и высокой влажности, что может легко довести до обезвоживания. В 4 часа дня у нас уже нет запаса воды , но до точки не хватает 4 километров. При нынешнем медленном темпе прогресса в густых джунглях нам потребуется около 8 часов ходьбы , чтобы достичь точки слияния .

Мы остановились на ночлег в джунглях. Я провел всю ночь, думая, продолжать мне продвигаться вперед или нет, Алекс был очень обезвожен и болен, и, в сочетании с условиями полного отсутствия воды , на следующий день мы решили вернуться назад по другой тропе, которая быстрее нас привела к ближайшему водоисточнику. Мысль о продвижении вперед почти целый день без капли воды была просто самоубийственной.. Здесь правила игры диктует Природа!!!!

Для достижения этой точки необходимы: два дня ходьбы , промежуточный лагерь для ночлега , запас воды 8 литров на человека , 2 суточных пайка, потому как продвижение в густой сельве заставляет тебя передвигаться со сокоростью полкилометра в час. Ночью лучше не передвигаться через джунгли , потому что животные выходят на охоту , особенно опасны ядовитые змеи " cuaima ананас " (Lachesis мутации) , которых боятся больше всего местные шахтеры и индейцы . Мать одного из моих спутников, Лусио Силва, умерла три года назад именно из-за укуса cuaima.

На следующее утро мы начали наш обратный путь в этих экстремальных климатических условиях, я, чувствуя себя обезвоженным и с полностью сухой полостью рта уже в течение нескольких часов, вынужден был смочить мой рот моей собственной мочой для стимуляции слюноотделения. Когда мы наконец прибыли в первый водоисточник , полный грязи, но все-таки с водой, я с превеликим удовольстием окунулся в него всем телом несмотря на всякую живность в нем обитающую. Почти в полдень мы прибыли в шахтерский городок Сан-Сальвадор -де-Поль , где я, воспользовавшись моим пребыванием, познакомился с его людми и стилем жизни. Я должен был терпеливо ждать 3 дня , до вторника, 12 марта, когда прилетел в этот пункт грузовой самолетик Антонов Ан-2, который перенес меня в Paragua.

Простившисьс моими гостеприимными друзьями, я начинаю мое возвращение с моим супер-Рам из Paragua в 13 :50 через Сьюдад-Боливар (приб. в 15 :20) , Эль-Тигре (приб. в 16:30), через Барселону (приб. в 18: 00), Бока-де- Uchire (приб. в 20 :20), Каракас (приб. в 22: 00), Валенсия, Карабобо Campo (приб. в 1 утра), где я остановился на отдых после 980-километрового пробега. Утром выехал в 6 утра, в Баринасе был в 9 , и в Сан-Кристобале в

 All pictures
#1: Finished water
#2: Total exhaustion
#3: Night in the jungle
#4: Only snack
#5: Pemones children
#6: Back home
#7: Track
ALL: All pictures on one page