04-Jan-2001 -- This confluence is located in Harrison County in southern Indiana near the old river
town of New Boston. New Boston was built around the operation of Ohio River Lock and Dam
number 43. There were 53 of these old lock and dams on the Ohio from Pittsburgh to Cairo.
They could only raise the river 8 or 9 feet and have been replaced with fewer, modern high rise
dams. Number 43 was in operation from 1920 until the late 1970's when it was replaced by the
lock and dam at Cannelton, Indiana. The actual confluence is about 80 feet out into the
Ohio River from the Indiana shore. The border between Indiana and Kentucky is about 100
feet from the Indiana shore of the Ohio River here. Across the river is part of the Fort Knox
Photograph two is the old control building for Lock and Dam 43. The building is a just
few feet west or down river from the confluence. Photograph three is another view of the
control building looking southwest. The river was as high as the wreath in the window
during the 1997 Ohio River flood. The river was as high as the roof eaves in the great
1937 flood. Nicholas and Karen Densford now own the control building and surrounding
land. Nicholas is planning a photo album project of the old Ohio River control buildings.
Photograph one is looking due south from the north bank of the Ohio River. The
confluence as stated above is about 80 feet out. Photographs 4 and 5 are looking up
river and down river respectively. Photo six is the obligatory GPS receiver on the bank
of the river.