14-Dec-2019 -- This is the 7th out of 21 successful revisits and 2 unsuccessful attempts on unvisited confluences in Saudi Arabia. The story starts at 28°N 48°E and continues from 28°N 41°E.
This confluence point is 20 km west of the provincial capital Sakaka in an agriculturally used area. A dense network of roads spreads over the area. The nearest asphalt road is 700 m to the confluence point. We parked at the asphalt road and walked along an earth road to the confluence point, although it would have been possible to drive to the confluence. We enjoy the walking part much more than the driving part.
The confluence is located on the bottom of a hill. When taking the straight-line-approach, we had to ascend and descend a steep rock face to reach the confluence point. On our return we had an easy stroll around the hill. Between the rocks, grass is growing at the confluence. There is also a big black water-tube for irrigation.
This visit was my 10th hyper-confluence – that is one of those rare species of confluences with two additional zeros. Because it is my 10th hyper-visit, this adds another zero to the score.
After finishing the confluence visit, we went to see the famous Zaabal Castle in Sakaka and spent the night in the city.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 700 m
- Distance to a track: 100 m
- Distance of car parking: 700 m
- Time to reach the confluence from car parking: 15 minutes
- Time at the confluence: 3:11 PM
- Measured height: 644 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 2 m
- Topography: Bottom of a hill, otherwise more or less flat
- Vegetation: here and there grass, some bushes
- Weather: sunny, 17° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Black Tube Confluence
The story continues at 29°N 38°E.
More pictures of the trip can be found here.