31-May-2014 -- When Mrs. Terratin got the opportunity to visit Vienna, Mr. Terratin decided to come along. Being in Vienna for the whole week, we decided seeing something else would be welcome too, resulting in a train trip to Bratislava and a trip by car trying to see at least something resembling the Alps. The latter turned out to take us close to 48N 15E... Mr. Terratin made sure of it! And being close could only mean an attempt to visit.
Setting off somewhere after nine, we took the West Autobahn (A1/E60) direction Salzburg, exit 108 towards Randegg and another 2 km to the exit taking us to the CP. Not sure if cars were allowed, we parked next to a cafe/restaurant and walked the last 600 m, following the signs. Luckily the rain/hail we drove through had stopped and we managed to reach the CP dry, even enjoying some sunshine.
The CP is located next to an (alpine?) meadow, surrounded by trees and views of a farm and more meadows beyond to the North/North-East. The CP itself, with an (in-)accuracy of a few meter, is somewhere between the tarmac and the small fishpond next to it.
After writing down the details of our visit, taking pictures, and a quick chat with the owner of the fishpond, who was just feeding his fish, we walked on uphill to the monument. Very nice place to sit for a while, relax and contemplate whether or not this place for the monument was chosen because of the location...
Having 'done' the CP and the monument, it was time to move on and see something of Austria. We slowly continued our journey southwards, looping through the eastern part of the Alps, before we hit the Süd Autobahn (A2/E66) and drove back to Vienna.
- Date/Time of visit: 31 May 2014, 11:24
- GPS Devices: Garmin Oregon 450/Garmin etrex vista HCx
- GPS Latitude: N 48 00.001 (Oregon) / N 48 00.003 (etrex)
- GPS Longitude: E015 00.000 (Oregon) / E014 59.996 (etrex)
- GPS accuracy: 4 m (Oregon) / 5 m (etrex)
- GPS Altitude: 402 m (Oregon) / 401 m (etrex)
- Minimal distance: ±4 m (based on GPS accuracy)
- Distance to nearest drivable road: 0 m; country road.
- Road name: Proviantweg
- Nearest village: Gresten, Niederösterreich
- Visible Terrain/Area: Alpine (?) meadows and a farm to the North/North-East; Forest/trees all around.
- Weather: Rain and hail, followed by sun. An estimated 15°C.
- Description of the CP: A small fishpond next to a country road.
- CP Name: None specifically, at location indicated as Der Meridianpunkt Gresten-Land.
- Means of transport: Rental car, walking the final ~650 m.