16-Sep-2012 -- Visiting the island of Bornholm, Denmark, on 15 & 16 September 2012 for touristic exploration, a change of scenery and landscape, some geocaching and visiting 55N 15E. After a decent breakfast, we set out on the 16th to explore the South coast of Bornholm, making a few geocaching stops along the way and arriving at the CP in the late morning. Hereafter we continued our trip to further explore the south and east coast of Bornholm, found a couple more geocaches, and returned to Rønne in the later afternoon to take the ferry and train back home (Copenhagen).
Getting close to the CP by car is easy; When using a GPS, just put it in 'Follow road' mode and it'll lead you to the parking nearest to the CP (N 55 00.074 E014 59.961). From there it's a short and marked trail (See Picture #7) to 55N 15E, which can't be missed as it is marked by a granite stone (locally quarried pink granite). A nearby information sign gives some general information about geographical nodes (Confluence Points) and about this CP specific (in Danish, German, and English). The immediate surroundings are dunes covered with grass and (presumably) Erica and looks like a typical heath landscape. Also in the vicinity is an old watermill and trout breeding farm (N 55 00.065 E014 59.852), which we recommended to visit as well.
- Date/Time of arrival: 16 September 2012, 10:47
- GPS Devices: Garmin Oregon 450 / Garmin etrex vista HCx
- GPS Latitude: N 55 00.000 (Oregon) / N 55 00.000 (etrex)
- GPS Longitude: E015 00.000 (Oregon) / E015 00.002 (etrex)
- GPS Altitude: +6/+7 m (Oregon, fluctuating) / +2 m (etrex) [Altitude in Google Earth +8 m]
- GPS accuracy: 3 m (Oregon) / 3 m (etrex)
- Minimal distance: 0 m
- Distance to nearest road: 140 m (direct line) / 150 m (following paths)
- Road name: unnamed; a small sideroad to Strandvejen (Bornholm, Denmark)
- Visible Terrain/Area: Coastal heath landscape.
- Weather: Overcast, moderate wind, dry, 16°C (although it felt warmer).
- Description of the CP: Marked by a granite stone and accompanied by an information sign about this confluence point.
- CP Name: (none as far as we know)
- Means of transport: Car (rental) and walking the last 150 m.