12-Aug-2012 -- This is the second out of two confluences that I visited during an extended weekend trip to Catalonia in Spain.
Story continues from 42°N 1°E.
The night before visiting this confluence point I stayed in the beautiful old mountain-top town Solsona, exactly between this confluence and 42°N 1°E. After an early start with my bicycle at 6:30 AM, I approached this confluence point over various hills primarily covered with pine forest. At about 12 noon I had reached the village
Santa Maria de Merlès (1.8 km from CP). Since I hadn’t read any of the previous reports, I first tried to reach the confluence directly from this western side, but had to cancel this approach at a distance of 1.3 km due to the absence of bikeable tracks. So I went back to Santa Maria, rode a 10 km loop and approached the confluence again from the east, i.e. from Prats de Lluçanès. It took another unsuccessful attempt until I finally got on the right track that got me within 50 m distance from the point. There, I parked my bicycle (in a pine forest).
The confluence is located in a paddock with extremely curious horses. Right at the moment when I entered the paddock, one horse came to me and licked my salty GPS receiver. Luckily the receiver turned out to be inedible. One horse would always follow me – it seems to be boring out there.
The area is half farmland (meadows, now mowed) and pine forest. The town Prats de Lluçanès can be seen in 3 km distance.
I continued the bicycle tour up to the town Vic in 40 km distance, from where I took a train back to Barcelona and the next morning an early flight back to Zurich.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 1000 m
- Distance to a public road: 1000 m
- Distance to a track: 60 m
- Distance of bicycle parking: 50 m
- Distance to houses: 1000 m
- Time at the CP: 13:56 PM
- Measured height: 702 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 1 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 6 m
- Topography: hilly mountain terrain
- Vegetation: pine trees, meadow
- Weather: sunny, 28° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In the province of Barcelona (Cataluña), near the town Prats de Lluçanès. On a paddock surrounded by pine trees and meadows.
- Given Name: The Licky Horse Confluence