10-May-2012 -- This is the second out of two confluences that I visited during trip to Austria.
A 2.5 hour drive from 47°N 14°E brought me to the hamlet Gresenberg which is 300 m north-west of the confluence point.
Since the batteries of my GPS device were totally empty nor was my GPS application on my mobile phone working for some unknown reason, I had to find another solution to locate the confluence point. I realized that I had a car navigation system that could also be used for pedestrian navigation. The drawback was that the software didn’t have the functionality to show a direction arrow to target. But navigating by coordinates was possible.
In zigzags I gradually approached the confluence point, while a farmer was turning over the freshly mown grass for letting it dry in the sun. But he let me do my irrational walk without paying any attention.
I located the confluence point in the middle of a huge meadow, right at the borderline between mown and unmown grass. 80 m to the south-east is a forest and in the west there is a high seat for observing deer and other wild animals.
In Gresenberg, I saw this remarkable machine in front of a barn. It was probably used for air ventilation.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 300 m
- Distance to a public road: 390 m
- Distance to a track: 130 m
- Distance of parking: 300 m
- Distance to houses: 300 m
- Time starting the hike: 1:20 PM
- Time at the CP: 1:30 PM
- Measured height: not measured
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 5 m
- Topography: slide grade, slightly rolling hills
- Vegetation: grass, dandelion, Goldilocks Buttercup
- Weather: sunny, 24° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: 22 km north of Salzburg. In agricultural dominated area.
- Given Name: The Barn Ventilator Confluence