02-Jul-2011 -- Continued from 40N 109E. This is Part Six of my eight-point confluence trip.
This is too easy; no challenge, no fun. Rainer commented that this is how Ray and others doing many confluences do most of them: drive, drive, drive, walk a few hundred meters and nail it. This one was no exception, right by the highway, we could have done it without getting out of the jeep. The nearby town was jumble trucks and coal dust. One cannot imagine how people can live like this.
Afterwards, we drove to Baotao and Rainer picked up his bike from the no-star hotel he and Targ stayed at the start. Targ was feeling the effects of too little sleep from the past 10 weeks with his newborn and was aching for some comfort. It was also Targ’s birthday, so his request for some luxury was unanimously approved. I used the wireless card on the laptop and www.elong.com to find a cheap four-star hotel in Baotao for us.
Dubbed: The Easy Grave Confluence.
Rainer’s Recorded Details:
2.7.2011 CP 40-110 parking 200m, 17:00 at CP, near highway, two more zeros for this point
Targ’s Meticulous Notes:
Continue E on highway G109 to 东胜区 (Dōngshèng), near 鄂尔多斯市 (È’ĕrduōsī [Ordos]), then N on the G65 Baomao Expy to 40°N 110°E, 1 km W of expressway.
- Turn right then right (NNE) onto G65 Baomao Expy at 39°48'59.6"N, 109°55'5.0"E. CP 21.5 km NNE.
- Exit expressway at 39°59'44.7"N, 110°0'32.6"E. CP 900 m NW.
- Turn left (NNE) at t-junction at 39°59'42.3"N, 110°0'45.1"E. CP 1.2 km NW.
- Turn left (NW) on side road at 39°59'52.1"N, 110°0'50.0"E. CP 1.21 km WNW.
- Follow side road under expressway to CP.
- CP 60 m N of side road.