09-Oct-2010 -- This report is the first out of a series of four confluences that I visited during an October weekend on a tour from Zurich (Switzerland) to Rhône-Alpes in France and Piermonte in Italy.
I started the tour spontaneously on Friday evening after dinner at 8:30 p.m. from my home in Zurich. I simply entered the coordinates 46°N 6°E as my destination, and the instrument guided me from Zurich directly to a parking lot near the confluence point. Since it was almost midnight when I reached my destination, I spent the night in the car.
When I woke up in the morning I noticed to my surprise that the beeline distance was only 52 m between my current position and the confluence. I waited until the daylight was bright enough for taking sharp pictures and walked over to the meadow where the confluence is located. However, it turned out that I was still too early – due to exposure times of 1/6 seconds. So I walked around a bit and 10 minutes later I started over again with taking pictures – this time with better results. The meadow is about 100 m by 100 m in size with oak alleys at two sides. The confluence is in a corner, about 10 m into the meadow. There is a crossroad about 100 m from the confluence. One of the roads leads to Annecy.
I left the confluence via the small road that follows a twisty path down to the Usses River.
CP visit details:
- Beeline distance from car parking: 52 m
- Walking time (incl. return): 0.5 min
- Time at the CP: 7:53 am
- Measured height: 473 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 6 m
- Minimal distance to the CP: 0 m
- Vegetation: Short grass, clover, oak trees.
- Distance to a road: 20 m
- Distance to a track: 20 m
- Distance to houses: 70 m
- Topography: on a slight slope, generally a hilly area.
- Weather: overcast, 14° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In the Département Haute-Savoie, belonging to the Region Rhône-Alpes in eastern France. Just 15 km to the Swiss border. Exact location of a meadow.
- Given Name: The Waiting Brightness Confluence
Story continues at 45°N 6°E.