13-May-2010 -- This report is the third out of a series of eight confluences that we visited on a tour from Zurich (Switzerland) to La Rochelle in France. The story continues from 47°N 5°E.
Again, we used GPS navigation for road guidance. This time we entered “Les Carnés” as our next destination and the instrument would do the navigation job for us. However, since we had only the coarse map of France in the navigation device, we had to take over the navigation ourselves after we had reached Le Châtelet, which is about 1 km north of the confluence point. After a small Odyssey we found the small single lane road towards Les Carnés.
We parked at an intersection (in 640 m beeline distance) and began a short, but steep hike upwards into a forest. Before entering the forest, we passed by a single house where we quenched our thirsts. From this house, we had a nice view of the area and the village Les Carnés. The confluence is located in a mixed forest (to the South there are Beech trees, to the North there is Spruce forest).
CP visit details:
- Beeline distance from car parking: 640 m
- Walking time (incl. return): 45 min
- Time at the CP: 2:47 pm
- Measured height: 696 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 4 m
- Minimal distance to the CP: 4 m
- Vegetation: Beech, Oak and Spruce Forest.
- Distance to a road: 530 m
- Distance to a track: 160 m
- Distance to houses: 620 m (Les Carnés)
- Topography: on a grade in a hilly country.
- Weather: overcast, 12° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In the Département Nièvre, in the Region Bourgogne in central France. Exact location in forest.
- Given Name: The Thirsty Fountain Confluence
Story continues at 47°N 3°E.