01-May-2008 -- This is the first out of 7 confluence points that we visited on our extended week-end trip to Italy, Slovenia and Croatia.
On confluence day, the alarm clock was set to 2 o’clock in the night. Well prepared with 6 hours sleep, lots of food, 3 GPS units, 2 cameras and several maps we started in Zurich, Switzerland, which is 2.5° north of the confluence point. We opt for the early starting time in order to avoid the usual traffic jam at the Sankt Gotthard pass.
At 6:30 am we arrived in Voghera. By using a car navigation system, reaching the confluence was no challenge at all. We parked in the Via Gran Paradiso just 37m from the exact location. As it was the 1st of May Holiday, the streets were completely empty and peaceful. Of course we did not dare to wake up the owner of the confluence point at this early time. At the fence, we measured 9m distance to the confluence – good enough to celebrate my 50th country with a successful confluence visit.
The swimming pool is still covered with the winter-cover. The exact spot is probably near the vase in the lawn.
After filling out my prepared field-book for confluence documentation, we left the confluence and headed further east. Our mission was to follow the 45th degree latitude. This line is special, because it is exactly in the middle between the North Pole and the Equator.
CP visit details:
- Time at the CP: 6:45 am
- driving time: 4 hour 30 min
- driving distance: 355 km
- hiking time: 20 sec
- hiking distance: 28 m (beeline)
- Distance to a road: 10 m
- Distance to a track: 10 m
- Distance to houses: 5 m
- Topography: flat, in the flood planes of Po River
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 9 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 5 m
- GPS height: 85 m
- Vegetation: lawn, a hedge, various flowers.
- Weather: clear, some high fog, 15° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In the northern part of Voghera town, Province of Pavia in the Lombardy. On a private property with the exact location right next or even in a swimming pool.
- Given Name: The Swimming Pool Confluence
Story continues at 45°N 10°E.