29-Apr-2007 – Currently, only a few confluence points in Central Europe have not been reported on confluence.org yet. Just Belarus provides some challenges for Western-Europeans, who seek virgin confluence points. This confluence is one of this meanwhile rare species.
The trip started on the eve of April 26th in Zurich, where we took a flight to Minsk (Russian: Минск). From Minsk we drove to Baranovichy (Russian: Барановичи), 12 km north of the confluence and stayed one night there.
On confluence day we started at 8 a.m. and were able get as close as 1.8 km to the confluence by car. The nearby village is called Bagushy (Russian: Багуши). We parked the car where the road turns straight south.
The confluence is located in a forest, which is surrounded by swamps. Our direct approach to the confluence coming from the south was not possible. Our track ended in a swamp. It took a larger deviation to the east and several stream-crossings in order to reach our destination. The river crossing shown in the picture looks much easier as actually it was. The stream was deep and the fallen tree was shaky. Only because it hadn’t rained for several weeks we managed to reach the confluence on dry foot. An approach coming from west would probably be easier.
For the final approach we had to cross a meadow and after entering a forest and following a drainage channel for 100m, we found the exact spot in a young beech forest. There were signs of recently cut wood at the confluence.
On our way back we used the same route as we came. We continued our trip to the nearby town Slonim (Russian: Слоним), which is worthwhile visiting.
CP visit details:
- Time at the CP: 9:54 am
- Hiking time: 1.5 hours
- Hiking distance: 1.8 km (beeline)
- Distance to the road: 1.8 km
- Distance to houses: 2.5 km
- Topography: totally flat
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 8 m
- GPS height: 172 m
- Vegetation: Predominant are birch and young spruce trees. Also dominant are different types of lichens and moss.
- Weather: sunny, 14° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In the central part of Belarus. Generally it is a not very dense populated area. Between some areas of cultivated land are huge forests with swamps. Exact location in a forest, which was dry at the time of the visit.
- Given Name: The Shaky Tree-Bridge Confluence
Story continues at 53N 25E.