01-May-2009 -- This is the second confluence visit on a 3-day trip 4-confluences-hunt to Hungary, Serbia and Romania. The report starts from 47°N 20°E.
Coming from Hungary in the North, we crossed the border at Horgos, which is about 20 km straight north of the confluence. The border crossing was tedious, due to a long queue and slow custom clearance and passport checks. On the other hand, a queue opens up an opportunity of watching people how they act when nerved by long delays. One interesting example was that if you would keep more than one car-length space in front of you, someone from behind would quickly overtake or change the line in order to occupy that space. Actually, this was the only tedious thing about it: we always had to watch carefully the queue. Twice we missed to move on quickly enough, and we lost two “ranks” in the queue, which annoyed those behind us in the queue. As our goal was not to visit as many confluence points as possible on a day, the delay did not matter mach to us. After 1.5 hours, we had made it across the border.
We drove through the village Кањижа or Kanjiža (7 km from the confluence). From there we took the main road to Сента or Senta. Half way between those places, the road comes as close as 650 m to the confluence. A track that runs on top of a damn would have allowed us to reach the confluence by car. But we preferred to walk a bit and parked half-way. On our short walk, we passed a decayed mudbrick house (200 m from the confluence). There, some anglers were trying to catch fish from the drainage channels .
The confluence itself is 15 m into a grain field. We could walk that between the rows without causing any damage.
Without haste, we walked back to our vehicle and continued our trip towards the south. Not having a map of the area it took us a while to reach the motorway towards Belgrade.
CP visit details:
- Beeline distance from car parking: 234 m
- Walking time (incl. return): 11 min
- Time at the CP: 1:39 pm
- Measured height: 84 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 3 m
- Minimal distance to the CP: 0 m
- Vegetation: grain field.
- Distance to a road: 650 m
- Distance to a track: 50 m
- Distance to houses: 160 m
- Topography: totally flatness intermittent by some 2 m deep water channels
- Weather: clear, 25° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: Located in the northern most part of Serbia, in a agricultural landscape. On a grain field.
- Given Name: The Mudbrick House Confluence
Story continues at 45°N 20°E.