03-May-2008 -- This is the last out of 7 confluence points that we visited during a week-end trip to Italy, Slovenia and Croatia. Story starts from 45°N 9°E.
We set off from 46°N 14°E in Slovenia and drove along the Croatian coast all the way to the nearby coastal town of Senj. With only 8 km beeline from the confluence the historic town is not only a good starting point for a confluence visit, but also a worthwhile visiting place. We stayed the night in a nearby campground.
Early in the morning at 6 am we set off for another confluence capture. Although the beeline distance was 8 km, it took us an embarrassing long time (2 hours) until we reached a distance of 1 km where we parked. The reason is that the roads in the area are windy and narrow with many serpentines, not well marked and oftentimes single laned. The true reason is that we missed the correct turnoffs several times. Normally it could be possible to reach the confluence within 35 min (30 km) from Senj.
However, at 8 o’clock we parked between the hamlets Serdari and Stubica with a distance of 1.13 km left. First, we followed a track that took us to a single farm (700m distance). Then we crossed a meadow (500 m remaining). Finally, the terrain got steeper and forested with beech trees.
The confluence is almost at the top of the mountain range. Several small rocks that are overgrown with moss mark the confluence point. GPS reception is rather poor due to the forest and grades. Expect to have a long confluence dance in order to line up all zeros. By the way: at a distance of 200 m we crossed another track – so if you do it the right way, this confluence is a piece of cake!
After our return to the vehicle, we paid the famous Plitvička Lakes National Park a visit. Besides the lakes and waterfalls, you can find yourself among huge crowds of tourists.
I tried to convince Eleonora to cross the border to Bosnia for visiting nearby 45°N 16°E, but for her 7 successful confluence visits seemed satisfying enough. I accepted and we returned to Senj where we spent a nice normal touristy evening instead.
CP visit details:
- Time at the CP: 8:57 am
- Driving time: 2 hours
- Driving distance: 239 km
- Hiking time: 40 min (one way)
- Hiking distance: 1.13 km (beeline)
- Distance to a road: 1.13 km
- Distance to a track: 200 m
- Distance to houses: 700 m
- Topography: steep mountainous terrain, karst formations, at a grade
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 5 m
- GPS height: 870 m
- Vegetation: beech grove, rocks covered with moss
- Weather: clear, 17° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In Croatia, near the town Senj just 8 km from at the Adriatic Coast. Located in the forested Senjsko Bilo Mountain Range
- Given Name: The Croatian Senj Confluence