28-Nov-2015 -- This is the second out of 3 reports reaching confluence points during a bicycle trip through Central Greece. The story continues from 38°N 24°E.
In the morning of confluence day, I started cycling before dawn at 6:30 AM from my hotel in Loutráki, which is located in 5 km horizontal and 1 km vertical distance from this confluence point.
First, I went up 500 m to the monastery Moní Osíou Patápiou. I parked my bicycle at the monastery and started a 5 hour hike (inclusive return). More or less, I went up to the top at around 1000 m altitude and followed the ridge through conifer forests and open meadows with great views down to Loutráki and the bay.
The confluence is located in dense conifer forest on hilly terrain. It is quite a remote location, although a hiking route passes by in 400 m distance. To reach the confluence from the monastery: follow the yellow marked hiking route and once you are on the top follow the green route.
I returned more or less the same route that I had come and got back to Loutraki at noon time.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to the road: 2 km
- Distance to a track: 400 m
- Distance of bicycle parking: 2 km
- Time to reach the CP from the road: 2.5 hours
- Time at the CP: 9:53 AM
- Measured height: 996 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 3 m
- Topography: hilly
- Vegetation: dense conifer forest, grass
- Weather: partly cloudy 10° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Mountain Monastery Confluence
The story finishes at 38°N 22°E.