09-Feb-2016 -- This is the second out of seven reports on confluence visits during a car trip across the USA. The story continues from 39°N 77°W.
After 3 days of celebrating Chinese New Year, Elionora and her two sisters started a drive across the USA from Baltimore to San Francisco. I spontaneously joined in for the first week. Before we started the trip, I had not much hope to be able to pick up confluence points on our way, because I would have to let 3 people wait while enjoying my hobby. But it turned out that the girls actually had a lot of fun with navigation to confluence points. I only picked those points that were easily visitable in no-time. Normally, I don’t read the reports of others before I go. But this time, I prepared well in order to smoothly reach the points and preventing trouble.
After driving all day from Baltimore, we reached Spartanburg in the late afternoon. Five minutes after leaving I-85, we pulled in Mrs. Pattersons driveway at the dead end of Allen Ct. She was fine with us visiting her backyard where the confluence point is located about 5 m from her house. Not much has changed since Jack Frickey’s visit 12 years ago besides that the huge tree had been cut.
After the visit we continued our drive to nearby Greenville, where we visited friends spending the evening with them.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to the road: 40 m
- Distance to a footpath: 10 m
- Distance of car parking: 40 m
- Time to reach the CP from the road: 0.5 min
- Time at the CP: 4:33 PM
- Measured height: 244 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 1 m
- Position accuracy: 3 m
- Topography: located in urban area with slightly hilly terrain
- Vegetation: lawn, bushes and a little yucca palm tree
- Weather: sunny 4° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Quick Backyard Confluence
The story continues at 34°N 84°W.