16-Dec-2019 -- This is the 9th out of 21 successful revisits and 2 unsuccessful attempts on unvisited confluences in Saudi Arabia. The story starts at 28°N 48°E and continues from 29°N 38°E.
We visited this confluence on our way between Tabuk and Tayma. From the National Highway 15, the point is 5.5 km away in straight line distance. To speed-up our delay caused by the confluence visit and to reach Tayma during daytime, we decided that Elionora would wait in the car while I would run to the confluence point.
With 5.5 km straight line distance, the run through uneven terrain with boulders and rocks, was relatively long. It took me 1 hour 25 minutes (inclusive return) from 2:40 PM to 4:05 PM. Partially, I had to climb between sandstone rocks. The confluence itself is in smooth terrain in a wadi. From the grass one can guess that is sometimes holds water. While the cold wind was blowing strong, I was feeling cold – even though I usually sweat during my runs. At this time of the year, even Saudi Arabia is experiencing some sort of winter – particularly at an altitude of 1000 m.
After the visit, we continued to the desert town Tayma and visited the famous ancient Hadaj Well.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 5.5 km
- Distance to a track: 5.5 km (however, it is possible to drive offroad to the confluence across the desert)
- Distance of car parking: 5.5 km
- Time to reach the confluence from car parking: 45 minutes
- Time at the confluence: 3:22 PM
- Measured height: 947 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 1 m
- Position accuracy: 3 m
- Topography: flat, in a valley
- Vegetation: scattered bundles of grass
- Weather: sunny, 14° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Long Run Confluence
The story continues at 27°N 38°E.
More pictures of the trip can be found here.