18-Jul-2010 -- This is the fourth out of eight confluence reports (with six attempts being successful) during a bicycle tour through Yúnnán. The trip starts from 25°N 102°E.
Coming from 25°N 100°E, which is located 100 km further east by beeline, it took me 2 days cycling to reach this confluence point.
I started in the early morning from the village Xīyì (西邑乡). By noon (after cycling half a day in pouring rain), I reached the little town Púpiāo (蒲缥镇). From the town center it is only 2.5 km to the confluence, so Púpiāo is a good starting point. In Púpiāo, you can try dogs, if you feel like having one.
I didn’t listen very well to Greg, the first visitor, who noted that the approach from the old town of Púpiāo is straightforward. I started from the new town, abandoned my bicycle at a distance of 1.26 km and started hiking. The first part of the hike was over agricultural land (mostly corn), the second part through forests (mostly pine trees). I had the same problem as Greg – the direct approach requires crossing several gullies. I also had to traverse some dense vegetation.
However, one hour into the hike I reached the confluence, located in a pine forest high above the town and the valley. Actually, the newly built motorway runs by very near and can be seen from the CP. There is a good viewpoint 15 m from the confluence, where I took the pictures.
On the way back I noticed a couple grave stones (100 m from the CP) and a huge caterpillar. At a distance of 500 m from the CP I reached the road to the old-town of Púpiāo (that Greg had mentioned in his report), but I had to get back to my bike and therefore traverse the gullies again.
After I had reached my bicycle, I continued the tour and stayed the night in the Salween River Valley (怒江).
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 2 km (the motorway is 500 m, but there is no exit)
- Distance to a road: 500 m
- Distance to a footpath: 250 m
- Distance of parking the bike: 1.26 km
- Distance to houses: 500 m
- Time starting the hike: 1:30 p.m.
- Time at the CP: 2:24 p.m.
- Riding time (distance) from Xīyì: 3 hours (60 km)
- Measured height: 1619 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 1 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 4 m
- Topography: Half way up a mountain at a steep grade.
- Vegetation: pine forest.
- Weather: overcast, 18° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: On Yúnnán’s high plateau, between Salween River to the west and Mekong River to the East. Just out of the town Púpiāo.
- Given Name: The Giant Caterpillar Confluence
Story continues at 27°N 99°E.