30-Sep-2014 -- This is the 9th out of 12 confluence reports, reaching 10 and attempting 2 confluence points in Iran and Turkmenistan. The story starts at 36°N 51°E and continues from 37°N 56°E.
In the early morning, we continued our trip from the little town Garmeh (55 km from the Confluence) on the Jājarm – Esfarāyen road. At the village
Chešmeh Khāledābād (8 km from the Confluence) we left the highway and after driving through the village, we continued our approach on various desert tracks.
We parked at a distance of 700 m and had a nice morning stroll to the confluence point. There is actually another track within 140 m that can be used by a normal car. The Confluence is located in one of several wādiy that catch the water after a desert rain. South of the Confluence, the terrain gets hilly, but the approach coming from the north is flat and easy. The vegetation is typical for arid areas: scattered bushes between bare grounds.
As it was just shortly after 7 AM and we hadn’t had breakfast yet, we went immediately back to the village Chešmeh Khāledābād (چشمه خالد آباد). But no restaurants or shops were open, so we went on to the next bigger town Esfarāyen (اسفراین) and had a huge breakfast there.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to a road: 7 km
- Distance to a track: 140 m
- Distance of car parking: 700 m
- Time to get to the confluence from car parking: 10 minutes
- Time at the CP: 7:20 AM
- Measured height: 985 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy: 4 m
- Topography: at a slight slope of the foothills of mountains to the south
- Vegetation: bare stony ground with scattered little bundles of dry bushes.
- Weather: cloudless, 18° C (felt temperature)
- Given Name: The Empty Stomach Confluence
The story continues at 36°N 58°E.