10-Jul-2008 -- This is the third out of 23 confluences that I visited on my bicycle trip to the North-East of China. The story starts from 40°N 117°E.
After a long first day of the bike trip, I started relatively “late” at 7 a.m. in the town Gǔyě (古冶), which is 80 km from the confluence point. I had lunch in the district town Lúlóng (卢龙) within 20 km distance to the confluence. From there, I approached the point on several minor county roads, simply following the GPS pointer. Since the area is pretty flat and populated, there is a dense network of roads that give you several options to reach the confluence. The last two kilometres I followed a farmer’s track. I reached a concrete road again in the village Héguāntún (何官屯).
Right in that village I followed one of the concrete tracks and located the confluence point to be in a courtyard. The front gate was open, but when I approached the gate, a not so friendly dog came out telling me clearly that I was not welcome. But then, the residents called the dog back and welcomed me. The lady was a little sceptical about the idea of confluencing, but she let me do the confluence dance and take the pictures. She could not remember the confluence hunter that had visited the confluence four years earlier.
I measured the confluence with an accuracy of 6 m to be right at the wall of the house. So it could be located in the yard or even in the house.
After a short chat, I continued the trip in eastern direction. I wanted to stay in a small town called Táiyíng (台营), but I ended up having the same problems as in the previous night: foreigners were not allowed to stay in small places. This time, the police was so nice to take me to the next bigger town – which was unfortunately not the direction I was heading to. However, I had a good hotel in the district town Fǔníng (抚宁).
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 2000 m
- Distance to a road: 10 m
- Distance to a track: 10 m
- Distance of parking the bike: 10 m
- Distance to houses: 0 m
- Time starting the deviation: 15:00 p.m.
- Time at the CP: 15:30 p.m.
- Riding time (distance) from Gǔyě: 5:07 hours (85.7 km)
- Measured height: 80 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 6 m
- Topography: flat, general area slightly hilly.
- Vegetation: some grass, partially garden land
- Weather: hazy, 30° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In eastern Hebei Province. Cultivated farming area. Directly located in a village in a backyard.
- Given Name: The Dog Greeting Confluence
Story continues at 41°N 120°E.