08-Jan-2009 -- This is the fourth confluence that we visited during our trip to Peru, Bolivia and Chile (map). The story starts from 12°S 77°W.
At 10 a.m. we decided to walk all the way to the confluence from the city centre of Oruro. Our GPS receiver noted that the beeline distance was 12.7 km, but anyway we wanted to do a hike that day.
After walking 5 km, we left the urban area and followed the dusty main road. Many busses, colectivos and taxies passed us, but we resisted all offers for a ride. Around lunch time (here usually at 2 p.m.) we reached the mining village Vinto at a distance of 5 km. Here was the last opportunity for a lunch, so we filled our stomach in one of Vinto’s Quintas (country restaurants typically open only for lunch). Then, we came across the huge and ugly tin smelter “Complejo Metalúrgico Vinto”. For the last 3 km however we hiked through beautiful veldt land until we reached the confluence right next to a dry riverbed.
Although we had hiked the entire time through deserts and steppes, the confluence itself was surrounded by agricultural land. Just 30 m from the confluence, an elderly lady was harvesting carrots. Unfortunately, she refused to have a photo taken with her.
On the way back we followed the meandering dry river bed and passed by some kids herding sheep. We walked back to Vinto, but then took a bus back to Oruro, because the wind and exhaustion became noticeable.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 4 km
- Distance to a road: 800 m
- Distance to a track: 600 m
- Distance to houses: 1 km
- Time at the CP: 15:42 p.m.
- Hiking time (distance): 5 hours (12.7 km)
- Measured height: 3799 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 8 m
- Vegetation: agricultural land : carrots, potatoes, onions.
- Topography: right next to a riverbed, surrounded by hills and mountains.
- Weather: fair, strong winds, 17° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: On Bolivia’s highland. South east of Oruro city. In a valley with agriculture and pasture farming.
- Given Name: The Tin Smelter Confluence
Story continues at 20°S 67°W.