24-Oct-2008 -- This is the second out of nine confluences that I visited during a 3-day trip to Spain. The story starts from 41°N 4°W.
After a touristic visit of the historic city Segovia I could not resist to hunt for more confluence points in Spain. I wasn’t prepared well at all – carrying a 25 year old map of Spain at a scale of 1 : 1 Mio. But that’s not due to my laziness – I deliberately came unprepared in order to experience some surprise, excitement, exploration or however you call it.
From Segovia I simply stayed on the county road CL-605 until I reached a turnoff to a village Mamblas. That village is with its 2.2 km beeline distance the closest settlement to the confluence. In Mamblas however, I had some difficulties to find a closer approach. After some trial and error, I found a track that I could follow up to 532 m to the point. But then the wheels of my vehicle had collected so much mud that they blocked. I walked the rest on that track uphill up to 50 m distance and then entered a harvested grain field to get those valuable zeros.
The village Mamblas with its huge church can be seen from the point. Besides that, the whole area consists totally of agricultural fields.
On my way back, I met a shepherd and a farmer putting manure on his fields, propagating a strong aroma in the air.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 2.2 km
- Distance to a track: 54 m
- Distance of parking the car: 532 km
- Distance to houses: 2.2 km
- Time starting the hike: 12:39 p.m.
- Time at the CP: 12:50 p.m.
- Measured height: 860 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 4 m
- Vegetation: dried remains of a harvested grain. Nearby some sunflower and beetroot fields.
- Topography: slight slope
- Time back from hike: 12:59 p.m.
- Weather: clear, 10° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: Situated in the province of Ávila and part of the autonomous community of Castilla and León. Allover agricultural area. Close to the village Mamblas with 250 inhabitants.
- Given Name: The Manure Aroma Confluence
Story continues at 41°N 6°W.