15-Nov-2009 -- This is the sixth out of seven confluence points that I visited during a 3-day trip to Spain. The story starts from 40°N 3°W.
After visiting 38°N 4°W the evening before, I drove to the City Ciudad Real (5 km south-east of the confluence). Ciudad Real is the capital of the province Ciduad Real and has 70,000 inhabitants. I didn’t spend the night in the city. Instead, I left Ciudad Real in the late night and approached the confluence point on Road CM-412 towards Las Casas (a village located 3 km north of the confluence). Half way I turned off from the main road and went to the confluence point on some minor, partially asphalted farming roads. As there are some farm houses in the vicinity of the confluence, I decided to find a lonelier place to camp for the night. Approximately 1 km away I thought I had found the loneliest spot on earth (in a dead end of an obviously rarely used track). But suddenly, a lover’s couple in their car appeared in front of me when they turned on their headlights. I guess we were both scared. I left this place and found a similar one without any lovers…
The next morning I had to wait for sufficient daylight in order to document the confluence. It is located right next to a track to a farmhouse. Since 2001 this site has undergone quite some changes. It appears much more desolate than 8 years ago, but certainly the time of year plays a significant role as well as the fact that the vegetation at the exact location has been burnt recently. In addition, there are some ruins with historical background 80 m to the North-West.
I continued the trip further north towards Madrid, because my flight back home was scheduled in the evening. Visiting the famous city Toledo which is 100 km further north was my next objective.
CP Visit Details:
- Distance to an asphalt road: 500 m
- Distance to a track: 3 m
- Distance of parking the car: 80 m
- Distance to houses: 45 m (the farm house)
- Time starting the hike: 8:10 a.m.
- Time at the CP: 8:10 a.m.
- Measured height: 243 m
- Minimal distance according to GPS: 0 m
- Position accuracy at the CP: 2 m
- Vegetation: Bushes, scattered trees, bunt grass.
- Topography: general area is flat. At the CP a minor escarpment
- Time back from hike: 8:15 a.m.
- Weather: sunny, 0° C (felt temperature)
- Description of the CP: In Provincia de Ciudad Real, Communidad de Andalucía in Central Spain. Agricultural landscape.
- Given Name: The Desolate Burnt Confluence
Story continues at 40°N 4°W.